Skip to Content
Your browser is out of date. To use this website, please update your browser or use a different device.
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Educational and Career Counseling (VA Chapter 36)

Find out how to apply for VA Chapter 36 benefits to get free Veteran Educational and Career Counseling services. You may be eligible if you’re leaving active service soon, if you’ve been discharged within the past year, or if you’re the dependent of a Veteran.

Am I eligible for Educational and Career Counseling?

You may be eligible for these services if one of the following is true. You:

  • Will be discharged under conditions other than dishonorable from active duty within 6 months, or
  • Separated from active duty under conditions other than dishonorable not more than one year ago, or
  • Qualify as a Veteran or service member for educational assistance under a VA educational program, or
  • Are a service member, Veteran, or dependent currently eligible for VA education benefits

Learn more about employment benefits for dependents

What benefits can I get?

  • Career counseling to help you decide which civilian or military jobs you want
  • Educational counseling to help you find a training program or field of study
  • Academic and adjustment counseling to help you address issues or barriers that get in the way of your success
  • Resume support and goal planning

How do I get these benefits?

There are 3 ways to apply for these benefits. You can:

  • Apply online, or
  • Apply by mail using VA Form 28-8832 below, or
  • Take your application to your nearest regional office or VetSuccess on Campus counselor

Follow these steps to apply online for Chapter 36 services:

You can also apply by mail

Fill out an Educational/Vocational Counseling Application (VA Form 28-8832).
Download VA Form 28-8832 (PDF)

If you qualify, we'll invite you to a career and guidance appointment.

Last updated: