Educational and career counseling (VA Chapter 36)
Personalized Career Planning and Guidance (PCPG), or VA Chapter 36, offers free educational and career guidance, planning, and resources to Veterans and their dependents who are eligible for a VA education benefit. Find out how to apply for this program if you’re leaving active service soon or have been discharged within the past year.
Am I eligible for educational and career counseling?
You may be eligible for these services if one of the following is true. You:
- Will be discharged under conditions other than dishonorable from active duty within 6 months, or
- Separated from active duty under conditions other than dishonorable not more than one year ago, or
- Qualify as a Veteran or service member for educational assistance under a VA educational program, or
- Are a service member, Veteran, or dependent currently eligible for VA education benefits
What benefits can I get?
- Career counseling to help you decide which civilian or military jobs you want
- Educational counseling to help you find a training program or field of study
- Academic and adjustment counseling to help you address issues or barriers that get in the way of your success
- Resume support and goal planning
For more information, watch our Personalized Career Planning and Guidance video (YouTube).
How do I get these benefits?
There are 3 ways to apply for these benefits. You can:
- Apply online, or
- Apply by mail using VA Form 28-8832 below, or
- Take your application to your nearest regional office or VetSuccess on Campus counselor
You can also apply by mail
Fill out an Educational/Vocational Counseling Application (VA Form 28-8832).
Download VA Form 28-8832 (PDF)
If you qualify, we'll invite you to a career and guidance appointment.