Attention A T users. To access the menus on this page please perform the following steps. 1. Please switch auto forms mode to off. 2. Hit enter to expand a main menu option (Health, Benefits, etc). 3. To enter and activate the submenu links, hit the down arrow. You will now be able to tab or arrow up or down through the submenu options to access/activate the submenu links.

Community Care

Quick Links
Veterans Crisis Line Badge
My healthevet badge

Foreign Medical Program (FMP)

For eligible Veterans living or traveling abroad, VA offers medical services through the Foreign Medical Program (FMP). Through this program, FMP will pay for health care services, medications, and durable medical equipment for service-connected conditions and conditions associated with and held to be aggravating a service-connected condition. VA may authorize foreign medical services for any condition if you are participating in the VA Vocational Rehabilitation Program (Title 38, U.S. Code, Chapter 31).

How to Enroll

Enrolling in FMP is simple. Fill out the FMP Registration Form (VA Form 10-7959f-1) and send to VHA Office of Integrated Veteran Care. (Fillable PDFs can be completed online, saved and printed.)

FMP Registration Form (VA Form 10-7959f-1)

You may also send your full name, mailing address, address of residence (including country), and VA claim number to the VHA Office of Integrated Veteran Care.

To enroll in FMP, mail your information to:

VHA Office of Integrated Veteran Care
Foreign Medical Program (FMP)
P.O. Box 469061
Denver, CO 80246-9061

We will confirm your service-connected disabilities and send you a benefits authorization letter, which outlines the medical conditions we cover. For more information about the program, you can call toll-free number listed below.

Foreign Medical Program Office: 877-345-8179.

Benefits and Claims

To learn more about what services are covered under FMP, including detailed information about FMP benefits, how to submit claims, and required forms, visit FMP Benefits and Claims Information.

FMP Benefits and Claims

PLEASE NOTE: Veterans enrolled in the FMP that live in Canada are under the jurisdiction of FMP; however, inquiries and claims must be directed to the Foreign Countries Operations in Canada. Please see the FMP Contacts information listed below.


Your local Veterans Service Organization representative at VA can help you with the registration process. FMP can also help with the registration process, verify your eligibility, authorize benefits, and process and pay FMP claims.

If you are a Veteran living or traveling outside the United States and have questions about other VA benefits such as compensation, pension exams, or disability ratings, you should direct those questions to your servicing VA regional office (VARO).

NOTE: Your servicing VARO is responsible for establishing service-connected disabilities. They are also responsible for administering educational benefits, vocational rehabilitation, and other benefit programs.

If you are living abroad and want to make a new application for any non-medical benefits, or have questions about non-medical benefits, please visit the Veterans Living Overseas website. To find your your local VA medical facility, you can use the online VA Facility Locator.

FMP Contacts

Any assistance you may need regarding your health care can be obtained by contacting the FMP Program Office, USA. (Veterans living in Canada must contact the Foreign Countries Operations in Canada.)

FMP Office, USA

VHA Office of Integrated Veteran Care
Foreign Medical Program (FMP)
PO Box 469061
Denver, CO 80246-9061

Toll-free phone: 877-345-8179

Fax: 303-331-7803

Online Service: Ask VA (AVA)


Veterans Living in Canada (for medical claim filing)

Foreign Countries Operations (FCO)
2323 Riverside Dr., 2nd Floor
Ottawa, Ontario
Canada, K1A OP5

Toll-free phone: 888‑996‑2242

Fax: 613-991-0305

Veterans Living Abroad (for written correspondence, except medical claims)

Location of Residence: Africa, American Samoa, Asia, Australia, Canada, the Caribbean, Central America, Europe, Federated States of Micronesia, Guam, Marshall Islands, Mexico, Northern Mariana Islands, Palau, Republic of the Philippines, South America, or the U.S. Virgin Islands

Department of Veterans Affairs
Evidence Intake Center
PO Box 4444
Janesville, WI 53547-4444

Fax toll-free: 248-524-4260

Toll-free Phone Service

USA/Canada: 877-345-8179

Australia: 1800 354 965

Costa Rica: 0800-013-0759

Germany: 0800 1800011

Italy: 800 782655

Japan: 00531-13-0871

Mexico: (001) 877-345-8179

Spain: 900 981 776

UK: 0800-032 7425

Change of Address?

If you change your address, it is vital that you let FMP know your new address as soon as possible. You can mail your information to the FMP Office, USA, or call us at 877-345-8179. Please help us keep our records up to date!

Frequently Asked Questions

Should Veterans with VA-rated, service-connected disabilities register with FMP prior to traveling abroad?

Veterans with a service-connected disability who are simply traveling abroad do not need to notify FMP. Veterans who are permanently relocating to a country under the FMP’s jurisdiction are encouraged to notify VHA IVC upon establishing a permanent foreign mailing address.

Are VA-furnished medications available under FMP?

Due to the international restrictions associated with the shipment of prescription drugs, FMP does not offer a pharmacy mailout program. Physicians should only prescribe medications that are legally available within the Veteran's country of residence and are accepted by VA and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA).

Are FMP-eligible Veterans restricted to specific health care providers?

Although Veterans may select medical providers of their choice, we recommend–but do not require–that providers have the ability to produce their medical documentation and billing statements in English. Medical documentation from a health care provider must either be in English or in the original language. Documentation submitted to FMP in the original language will be sent for translation and may delay claims processing. Regardless of language, all documentation and billing statements must be legible.

Does FMP authorization cover required health care services while the Veteran is visiting in the United States?

No. FMP authorizations are limited to health care services obtained in foreign countries only. Should services be required while in the United States, the Veteran should contact the nearest VA health care facility. Visit the VA Facility Locator page to find your local VA health care facility.

VA Facility Locator