Skip to Content

Board Appeals

When you choose this option, you’re appealing to a Veterans Law Judge at the Board of Veterans’ Appeals (also called the Board) in Washington, D.C. A judge who’s an expert in Veterans law will review your case.

Is a Board Appeal an option for me?

A Board Appeal may be an option for you if you submit your request within 1 year of the decision on your initial claim, Supplemental Claim, or Higher-Level Review (the 1-year timeframe starts from the date on your decision letter).

You can request a Board Appeal only after these types of claims or decision reviews:

  • An initial claim
  • A Supplemental Claim
  • A Higher-Level Review

You can’t request 2 Board Appeals in a row for the same claim.

Exception: If you have a contested claim (this is when you and someone else are claiming a benefit that only one person can claim), you must request a Board Appeal within 60 days of the date on your decision letter. 

Learn about contested claims

Other decision review options

Be sure you’re choosing the decision review option that’s right for you. You may be able to request a Higher-Level Review or a Supplemental Claim instead. 

Learn more about other decision review options

Are there different types of Board Appeals?

Yes. You can request 1 of the 3 types of Board Appeals listed here. When you fill out your form, you’ll need to select the type you want.

A Veterans Law Judge reviews all Board Appeals. But only some types of Board Appeals allow you to submit new evidence or have a hearing with a Veterans Law Judge. 

Direct Review

If you choose Direct Review, a Veterans Law Judge will review your appeal based on the evidence that’s already part of your case. You can’t submit new evidence, and you can’t have a hearing.

The Board’s goal is to send you a decision within 365 days (1 year). 

Evidence Submission

If you choose Evidence Submission, a Veterans Law Judge will consider new evidence together with evidence that was already part of your case when we made our most recent decision on your claim. You must submit new evidence with your Board Appeal or within 90 days of the date we receive your request for a Board Appeal. 

The Board’s goal is to send you a decision within 550 days (1.5 years).


If you choose Hearing, you’ll meet with a Veterans Law Judge. You can choose to add new evidence, but you don’t have to. You can submit new evidence at the hearing or within 90 days after the hearing.

We’ll transcribe your hearing (write down the conversation you have with the Veterans Law Judge) and add the transcript to your appeal file.

You can choose to speak with the Veterans Law Judge in 1 of these 3 different ways:

  • Virtual tele-hearing using your computer or mobile device
  • Videoconference hearing at a VA location near you
  • In-person hearing at the Board in Washington, D.C. (you’ll need to pay any travel costs)

The Board’s goal is to send you a decision within 730 days (2 years).

Learn about virtual hearings for Board Appeals

How do I request a Board Appeal?

You can request a Board Appeal in any of these 5 ways. 

Option 1: Online

You can request a Board Appeal online right now. 

Request a Board Appeal online

Option 2: By mail

Fill out a Decision Review Request: Board Appeal (Notice of Disagreement) (VA Form 10182). 

Get VA Form 10182 to download

Send your form and any supporting documents to this address:

Board of Veterans’ Appeals
PO Box 27063 
Washington, D.C. 20038

Option 3: In person

Fill out a Decision Review Request: Board Appeal (Notice of Disagreement) (VA Form 10182). Then bring your form and any supporting documents to a VA regional office. 

Get VA Form 10182 to download

Find a VA regional office near you

Note: You can choose to get a copy of this form at a VA regional office instead of downloading it. Or call us at 800-827-1000 (TTY: 711) to request a form. We’re here Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. ET.

Option 4: By fax

Fill out a Decision Review Request: Board Appeal (Notice of Disagreement) (VA Form 10182). 

Get VA Form 10182 to download

Fax your form and any supporting documents to .

Option 5: With the help of a trained professional

An accredited attorney, claims agent, or Veterans Service Organization (VSO) representative can help you fill out and submit the form to request a Board Appeal.

Get help requesting a decision review

What happens next?

If the Board agrees to review your case, you’ll get a letter telling you that the Board has added your case to the docket. The docket is the list of cases for the Board to review. 

You don’t need to do anything while you wait for a decision (or a hearing if you requested one) unless the Board sends you a letter to ask for more information. 

Find out more about what happens after you request a decision review

If you receive VA emails or texts, we’ll send you updates about the status of your Board Appeal. You can also check your status online. 

Check your VA claim, decision review, or appeal status 

You can update your phone number and email address in your profile. 

Learn how to update the information in your profile

What if I get a Board Appeal decision that I don’t agree with?

You can appeal to the U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims. 

Or if you have new and relevant evidence that supports your case, you can file a Supplemental Claim.

Learn more about your options after a Board decision