Skip to Content

Contested claims

If you’re one of multiple people claiming the right to a benefit that only one party has a right to, you have 60 days to appeal to a Veterans Law Judge at the Board of Veterans’ Appeals in Washington, D.C. A judge who’s an expert in Veterans law will review your case.

Mark your calendar

You have 60 days from the date on your decision to request a Board Appeal.

What are my Board Appeal options?

If you select a Board Appeal, you have 3 options. We encourage you to work with your representative to decide which of the following options is best for you.

Option 1: Request a Direct Review

A Veterans Law Judge will review your appeal based on evidence already submitted. You can’t submit evidence and can’t have a hearing.

The Direct Review option will take about one year for the Board to complete.

Option 2: Submit more evidence

You can submit more evidence for a Veterans Law Judge to review. You must submit this evidence within 90 days of the date we receive your request for a Board Appeal.

The evidence submission option will take more than one year for the Board to complete.

Option 3: Request a hearing

You can request a hearing with a Veterans Law Judge. You can choose to add new and relevant evidence, either at the hearing or within 90 days after the hearing. Adding evidence is optional. Your hearing will be transcribed and added to your appeal file.

You can choose from 3 different ways to speak with the Veterans Law Judge:

  • Virtual hearing from your home
  • Videoconference hearing at a VA location near you
  • In-person hearing at the Board in Washington, D.C.

The hearing request option will take more than one year for the Board to complete.

Learn more about virtual hearings

How do I request a Board Appeal?

You can request a Board Appeal online right now.

Request a Board Appeal

You can also request a Board Appeal in any of these ways:

By mail

Fill out a Decision Review Request: Board Appeal (Notice of Disagreement) (VA Form 10182). 

Get VA Form 10182 to download

Note: You can also get this form from a VA regional office. Or, you can call us at 800-827-1000 to request a form. We’re here Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. ET.

Send the completed form to this address:

Board of Veterans’ Appeals
PO Box 27063 
Washington, D.C. 20038

In person

Bring your completed form to a VA regional office. 

Find a VA regional office near you

By fax

Fax your completed form to 844-678-8979.


After a Board decision

If you disagree with the Board’s decision, you can appeal to the U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims. You can hire an attorney to represent you, or you can represent yourself. 

Learn more about filing a Court Appeal

Mark your calendar

You have 120 days from the date on your decision to file a Court Appeal. 
Note: A Court Appeal must be filed with the Court, not with VA.

What happens next?

Find out what happens after you request a decision review

You don’t need to do anything while you wait unless we send you a letter asking for more information. If we schedule exams for you, be sure not to miss them.

Track the status of your appeal

What if I need help?

A Veterans Service Organization or VA-accredited attorney or agent can help you request a decision review. 

Get help requesting a decision review

What if I have more questions?

Get answers to frequently asked questions about decision reviews. 

Go to FAQs