Skip to Content
Learn what the PACT Act means for your VA benefits

Supplemental Claims

If you disagree with our decision on your claim, a Supplemental Claim may be an option for you. Learn when and how to file a Supplemental Claim and what to expect after you file.

Is a Supplemental Claim the right decision review option for me?

A Supplemental Claim may be the right option if you meet the requirements listed here.

You must meet both of these requirements:

And you must meet at least one of these requirements:

  • You have new and relevant evidence to submit, or  
  • You’re requesting a review of your claim based on a change in law (such as the PACT Act)

What we mean by “new and relevant” evidence 

  • New evidence is information you didn’t submit to us in the past (or didn’t identify for us to gather)
  • Relevant evidence is information that proves or disproves something in your claim

Unless your Supplemental Claim is based on a change in law, you’ll need to submit supporting evidence that’s new and relevant for your application to be complete. You can also identify evidence you’d like us to gather for you.

Note: If you have new and relevant evidence, you can also request a Board Appeal. But this process will take longer. 

Should I file a Supplemental Claim if my condition got worse?

No. If you have a disability rating for a condition that’s gotten worse, you’ll need to file a claim for increased disability compensation.

Find out how to file a claim for disability compensation

How do I prepare before I start my application?

If you have new and relevant evidence

Gather any supporting documents that you think could change our past decision.

We can also help you gather documents from a VA medical center, other federal facility, or your private health care provider. You’ll need to provide the name of the facility that treated you and the treatment dates.

Here are 2 examples of documents that you could include when you file your claim:

  • A new medical report: We denied your claim for a mental health condition in the past. You now have a medical report stating that your service-connected injury led to your mental health condition. You can submit that report as new and relevant evidence.
  • A buddy statement (also called a Statement in Support of Claim): We denied your claim for back pain in the past. Your fellow service member witnessed the incident that caused your condition. They write a letter that describes what happened and how the condition has affected you. You can submit their statement as new and relevant evidence. 

If you have a presumptive condition now covered because of a change in law

You’ll need to submit or identify medical evidence that documents the diagnosis and severity of your claimed condition. 

If you have qualifying military service, we automatically assume (or “presume”) that your service caused your condition. If you have a presumptive condition, you don’t need to prove that your service caused the condition. You only need to meet the service requirements for the presumption.

Presumptive conditions under the PACT Act 

The PACT Act law adds more than 20 presumptive conditions for burn pits, Agent Orange, and other toxic exposures. The law also adds new presumptive locations for Agent Orange and radiation exposure.

Not sure if we consider your condition presumptive? 

Find out what conditions are presumptive under the PACT Act

How do I file a Supplemental Claim?

File online for a disability compensation claim

At this time, you can file online only for disability compensation claims.

File a Supplemental Claim online

File by mail, in person, or with a VSO for any type of claim

You’ll need to download and fill out a Decision Review Request: Supplemental Claim (VA Form 20-0995).

Get VA Form 20-0995 to download

If you want us to get records from your private health care provider, you’ll also need to fill out VA Form 21-4142.

Get VA Form 21-4142 to download

File by mail

Send your forms and any supporting documents to the address that matches the benefit type you’re filing for:

  • Compensation

Department of Veterans Affairs
Claims Intake Center
PO Box 4444
Janesville, WI 53547-4444

  • Pension/Survivors benefits

Department of Veterans Affairs
Claims Intake Center
PO Box 5365
Janesville, WI 53547-5192

  • All other benefit types

    Check the decision letter for your initial claim for instructions on how to submit the form.

File in person

Bring your completed forms and any supporting documents to a VA regional office.

Find a VA regional office near you

Note: You can ask a VA regional office for copies of the forms to fill out. Or call us at 800-827-1000 (TTY: 711) to request forms. We’re here Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. ET.

File with the help of a VSO

A Veterans Service Organization (VSO) or VA-accredited attorney or agent can help you file a Supplemental Claim.

Get help requesting a decision review

What happens after I file a Supplemental Claim?

You don’t need to do anything unless we send you a letter to ask for more information. If we schedule exams for you, be sure not to miss them.

Find out what happens after you request a decision review

Check your VA claim status

How long does a Supplemental Claim take?

136.9 days (less than 5 months)

Average time to complete a Supplemental Claim in August 2023

Note: Our goal for completing a Supplemental Claim is 125 days.

What can I do if I disagree with VA’s Supplemental Claim decision?

You have these options:

  • You can request a Higher-Level Review of the Supplemental Claim decision.
  • You can request a Board Appeal if you want a Veterans Law Judge to review your case.
  • You can file another Supplemental Claim if you have more new and relevant evidence to submit.