Agent Orange exposure on U.S. Navy or Coast Guard ships
If you served on a Navy or Coast Guard ship in or around Vietnam during the Vietnam Era, you may have had contact with Agent Orange, a toxic chemical used to clear trees and plants during the war. Find out if you can get disability compensation or benefits for illnesses believed to be caused by Agent Orange.
Can I get disability benefits from VA?
You may be able to get disability benefits if you have one or more illnesses believed to be caused by Agent Orange and you meet the requirements listed below.
One of these must be true:
You served on ships or boats that were part of the Mobile Riverine Force or Inshore Fire Support Division 93, or
You had one of the following designations:
- AGP (Assault Group Patrol/Patrol Craft Tender)
- LCM (Landing Craft, Mechanized)
- LCU (Landing Craft, Utility)
- LCVP (Landing Craft, Vehicle, Personnel)
- LST (Landing Ship, Tank)
- PBR (Patrol Boat, River)
- PCF (Patrol Craft, Fast or Swift Boat)
- PG (Patrol Gunboat)
- STABS (Strike Assault Boats)
- WAK (Cargo Vessel)
- WHEC (High Endurance Cutter)
- WLB (Buoy Tender)
- WPB (Patrol Boat)
- YFU (Harbor Utility Craft)
Note: Even if your ship or boat is not included in the Mobile Riverine Force, Inshore Fire Support Division 93, or the above designations, it may still appear in our alphabetized list of ships that had contact with Agent Orange.
- Qualified dependents
What kind of disability benefits can I get?
- Health care
- Compensation (payments)
- An Agent Orange Registry health exam
How do I get these benefits?
You’ll need to file a claim for disability compensation.
Find out how to file a claim for disability compensation
If you served on one of the ships or boats listed above—and you have one or more illnesses believed to be caused by Agent Orange—we’ll conclude that your illness is likely caused by contact with Agent Orange.
If you don’t have an Agent Orange–related disability at this time, you and your family can still be part of the Agent Orange Registry.
What if I need help filing my claim?
You can get help from us in one of these ways:
- Call 800-827-1000 or TTY 800-877-8339, or
- Go to your nearest VA regional benefit office, or
- Get help from a trained professional trusted to help with VA-related claims
Get more information
Want to find out if the ship you were on had contact with Agent Orange?
See the list of ships that had contact with Agent Orange (PDF)