Skip to Content

VA clothing allowance

If your clothing has been damaged by your prosthetic or orthopedic device (such as a wheelchair) or by the medicine you’re taking for a skin condition, you may be able to get money each year to help you buy new clothes. This is called an annual clothing allowance. Keep reading to find out if you may be eligible.

Am I eligible for this benefit from VA?

You may be eligible for a clothing allowance if you meet the requirements listed here.

One of these must be true:

  • Your prosthetic or orthopedic device damages your clothes, or
  • Your skin medicine causes damage to your outer clothing (like your pants or shirt) that can’t be repaired

And this must be true:

You need this device or skin medicine because of an injury or illness related to your military service (called a service-connected condition).

What kind of clothing allowance can I get?

You may be able to get an annual payment (a payment you receive once a year) if you meet at least one of the requirements listed here. 

At least one of these must be true:

  • You have more than one prosthetic or orthopedic device, or
  • You have more than one skin medicine, and/or
  • Your device or skin medicine affects more than one type of clothing.

Review current rates for special allowances

To get an annual payment, or if you want to apply for an additional clothing allowance, you’ll need to qualify by August 1 of that year. We collect applications throughout the year and hold them until the August 1 closing date. If you qualify, you’ll receive your payment between September 1 and October 31.

Note: If we determine that you no longer meet the eligibility requirements for an annual clothing allowance, we may stop or decrease your payments. 

Do I need to apply every year to get an annual payment?

If you received a clothing allowance payment in 2022 or 2023, you no longer need to submit an application every year to continue to get an annual payment.

But if you want to receive an additional clothing allowance, you do need to submit an application.

How do I get a clothing allowance?

You’ll need to submit an Application for Annual Clothing Allowance (VA Form 10-8678).

Get VA Form 10-8678 to download

Note: You must have a service-connected disability to get a clothing allowance. If you haven’t filed a claim for disability compensation yet, you’ll need to do that first. 

Find out how to file a claim for disability compensation

You can submit your application in any of the ways listed here.

Apply through your local VA medical center

Bring your application, or mail it, to the prosthetic representative at your local VA medical center. 

Find a VA medical center near you

Apply by mail

Mail your application to this address:

Department of Veterans Affairs
Claims Intake Center
PO Box 4444
Janesville, WI 53547-4444

Apply by fax

  • If you’re in the U.S., fax your application to .
  • If you’re outside the U.S., fax your application to .

What if I have questions about these benefits?

You can call us at 800-827-1000 (TTY: 711). We’re here Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. ET.