Skip to Content

On-the-job training and apprenticeships

Learn how GI Bill training programs can help you pay for books, supplies, and housing while you’re learning a trade or skill through on-the-job training or apprenticeships. Find out how to get these education benefits.

Am I eligible for education benefits?

You may be eligible for benefits if you qualify for the GI Bill and want to work in an industry or job that has on-the-job training, like:

  • Plumbing
  • Hotel management
  • Firefighting

Who’s covered?

  • Veterans
  • Spouses and children getting benefits through either the Fry Scholarship or the Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance (DEA) Program
  • Children getting transferred benefits under the Post-9/11 GI Bill (also called Chapter 33)

Exception: You can’t get on-the-job training if you’re an active-duty service member or a spouse using a transferred benefit.

What benefits can I get?

  • Money for books and supplies
  • Money for housing, if you use Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits

How much money will I get?

Your payment depends on which GI Bill program you’re using.

Check the current payment rates

If you use the Post-9/11 GI Bill, you’ll also get monthly housing allowance (MHA).

Find out how we determine MHA

How do I get these benefits?

You’ll need to make sure the program is approved for VA education benefits.

Use the GI Bill Comparison Tool to find out if the program is approved

You’ll most likely need to enter into a training contract for a set amount of time with an employer or union. During training, you’ll probably get a salary from the employer or union, which can go up as you gain more skills. When you finish your training, you’ll get a job certification or journeyman status.