Skip to Content
Your browser is out of date. To use this website, please update your browser or use a different device.
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Veterans’ Educational Assistance Program (VEAP)

You can continue your education by using part of your military pay to help cover the cost of school. Find out if you can get benefits through the Veterans’ Educational Assistance Program (VEAP)—a $2-to-$1 government-match program for educational assistance.

Can I get this benefit?

You can get this benefit if you went into the service for the first time between January 1, 1977, and June 30, 1985, and you meet all of the requirements listed below.

All of these must be true:

  • You opened and put money into your VEAP account before April 1, 1987, and
  • You put in $25–$2,700 on your own, and
  • You finished your first period of service and didn’t receive a dishonorable discharge

Who’s covered?


What benefits can I get?

Money for tuition

How do I get this benefit?

You’ll need to apply.
Apply for benefits.

What’s covered under VEAP education benefits?

We’ll help you pay for these types of training, programs, and fees:

How much you put in every month will determine how many months of benefits you get (1–36 months). You have 10 years from your release from active duty to use VEAP benefits. If VEAP benefits go unused after that 10-year period, you can ask for a refund for the amount left in your fund.

Active Duty: If you’re currently on active duty and want to use VEAP, you must have at least 3 months of contributions in the fund.

Withdrawals: You can withdraw the money in your VEAP account if you don’t meet basic qualifying requirements or if you formally ask for a refund.

Get more information

Read the VEAP pamphlet.