Skip to Content
Your browser is out of date. To use this website, please update your browser or use a different device.
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Fry Scholarship

If your parent or spouse was an active-duty Servicemember who died in the line of duty on or after September 11, 2001, you may qualify for the Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship (Fry Scholarship). Find out if you can get benefits through this scholarship.

Can I get Fry Scholarship benefits?

You may be able to get benefits under the Fry Scholarship if you’re the child or surviving spouse of an active-duty Servicemember who died in the line of duty on or after September 11, 2001.

Who’s covered?

  • Qualified dependents
  • Qualified spouses

What benefits can I get?

You may be able to get up to 36 months of benefits, including:

  • Money for tuition (full in-state tuition costs at public schools and up to $22,805.34 per year for training at private or out-of-state schools)
  • Money for housing
  • Money for books and supplies

Do I qualify for these benefits?

  • Children qualify as of their 18th birthday or after graduating high school, whichever comes first. Children no longer qualify as of their 33rd birthday. A spouse has 15 years from the Servicemember’s death to use the benefit.

Note: A new provision of the law extends benefit eligibility to January 1, 2021, for spouses of Servicemembers who died in the line of duty between September 11, 2001, and December 31, 2005.

  • If you’re a dependent and your parent died in the line of duty before August 1, 2011, you may qualify for both the Fry Scholarship and the Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance (DEA) program. But you can use only 1 program at a time. We cap combined benefits at 81 months of full-time training.
    Read about the DEA program.

  • Surviving spouses qualify to get Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC) while using the Fry Scholarship. Children over age 18 who get DIC benefits have to give up those payments when they start to use the Fry Scholarship.
    Read about DIC.

Spouses who remarry can’t get the Fry Scholarship.

What are the steps?

  1. Choose a school
    • The GI Bill Comparison Tool can help you pick a school.
      Use the GI Bill Comparison Tool.
    • You should contact your school’s certifying official to make sure your program is approved for VA benefits.
  2. Apply for benefits
    • Apply online now, or
    • Fill out a Dependents’ Application for VA Education Benefits (VA Form 22-5490) and send it to the VA regional benefit office where you want to go to school.
      Download VA Form 22-5490.
      Find a VA regional benefit office.
    • If you aren’t legally an adult, your parent or guardian must sign the application.
    • If you’ve already started your educational program, ask a certifying official from your school or your employer to fill out a VA Enrollment Certification (VA Form 22-1999). They’ll need to submit it online using VA Online Certification (VA-ONCE).
      Download VA Form 22-1999.
  3. Choose your program
    • When you apply, you must choose either the Fry Scholarship or DEA. Once you make that choice, you can’t change your mind.