Skip to Content

Foreign Medical Program (FMP)

If you’re a Veteran who gets medical care outside the U.S. for a service-connected condition, we may cover the cost of your care. Read this page to find out how the Foreign Medical Program (FMP) works and how to register.

Eligibility for coverage through FMP

If you get medical care in a country outside the U.S., we can only cover the cost of services that are medically necessary to treat these 2 types of conditions:

  • VA-rated, service-connected disabilities (for example, an illness or injury caused—or made worse by—military service), or
  • Conditions that are associated with a service-connected disability and that we determine make the disability worse (or “aggravate” it). For example, if you have a service-connected condition of posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD), we may cover the cost of care for non-service-connected depression because the depression can be associated with PTSD and make it worse.

Here’s what else you should know:

  • If you participate in our Veteran Readiness and Employment (VR&E) program, we may pay for care for other conditions.
  • You can use FMP only for care you get in a foreign country. We won’t cover care or supplies you get in or from the U.S. or U.S. territories.
  • For claims that result in a payment, we’ll send you a U.S. Treasury check.

How to register for the Foreign Medical Program

Fill out an FMP Registration Form (VA Form 10-7959f-1). You’ll need your Social Security number or your VA claim number (also called VA file number). In most cases, your claim number and Social Security number are the same.

Note: You don’t need to be enrolled in VA health care to register for the Foreign Medical Program.

Get VA Form 10-7959f-1 to download

Then send your completed form to us by mail or fax.

Option 1: By mail

Mail your completed form to this address:

VHA Office of Integrated Veteran Care (OIVC) 
Foreign Medical Program (FMP)
P.O. Box 469061
Denver, CO 80246-9061

Option 2: By fax

Fax your completed form to 303-331-7803.

What to expect after you register

We’ll send you a benefits authorization letter. This letter will list your service-connected conditions that we’ll cover. Then you can file FMP claims for care related to the covered conditions.

Find out how to file an FMP claim

How to contact our FMP staff

You can contact us in any of these ways:

Option 1: Online

Contact us online through Ask VA

Option 2: By email

Email us at To protect your privacy, don’t send sensitive personal or health care information through email.

Option 3: By phone

Call the FMP office at 303-331-7590 (TTY: 711). We’re here Monday through Friday, 8:05 a.m. to 6:45 p.m. ET.

If you’re living in one of these countries, you can call the FMP office toll-free: