At Minneapolis VA Health Care System, we’re dedicated to improving the lives of Veterans and their families.
About Minneapolis VA Health Care System
Minneapolis VA Health Care System provides you with outstanding health care, trains America’s future health care providers and conducts important medical research.
Health care and services
We provide you with health care services at 15 locations in Minnesota and western Wisconsin. Facilities include our Minneapolis VA Medical Center, our Community Resource and Referral Center for Veterans experiencing homelessness, and 13 VA Community Clinics located in Albert Lea, Ely, Hibbing, Mankato, Maplewood, Ramsey, Rochester, Shakopee, and St. James, Minnesota; and Chippewa Falls, Hayward, Rice Lake and Superior, Wisconsin. To learn more about the services each location offers, visit Minneapolis VA health services page.
Minneapolis VA Health Care System is one of the leading health care systems serving Veterans in the Midwest VA Health Care Network. We’re an innovative care center within the Veterans Integrated Service Network 23 (VISN 23), which includes medical centers and clinics in Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Illinois and Wisconsin.
Research and development
Minneapolis VA Health Care System has an active accredited research program affiliated with the University of Minnesota. We have 179 scientists and investigators and over 500 projects funded by VA. We conduct research to discover knowledge, develop VA scientists and health care leaders and create innovations that advance health care for Veterans and the nation.
Minneapolis VA Health Care System is home to four major research centers:
- Brain Sciences Center
- Center for Care Delivery and Outcomes Research (CCDOR)
- Geriatric Research, Education and Clinical Center (GRECC)
- Minneapolis Adaptive Design & Engineering (MADE) Program
We offer Veterans the opportunity to participate in and benefit from our work. Our goal is to use research to promote better health and health care for all.
Teaching and learning
Minneapolis VA Health Care System is a general medicine and surgery teaching hospital that provides a full range of health services for Veterans, with state-of-the-art technology as well as education and research. We maintain active affiliations with the University of Minnesota’s medical and dental schools, and we have agreements with more than 50 schools for more than 1,500 residents, interns and students each year. We provide accredited hospital-based training programs for radiology technicians, nurse anesthetists, podiatry, dental students and more. We’re proud of our partnerships with top institutions and organizations that support the educational mission of the VA.
- Minneapolis VA Medical Center is one of VA’s four polytrauma medical centers to care for active-duty service members and Veterans with brain injuries, who are blind, or have had an amputation.
- We maintain a 65,000-square-foot center to care for Veterans with spinal cord injuries and disorders.
- In 2018, 1,289 volunteers donated 180,586 in hours to help care for Veterans.
- We recorded 980,427 outpatient visits at our facilities in 2018.
- Our staff included 4,608 employees in 2018. Of those, 1,109 were Veterans.
- Practice Greenhealth recognized Minneapolis VA Medical Center as one of its top 25 hospitals in the country for environmental excellence.
Our facilities and programs have received accreditation from:
- The Joint Commission
- Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities
- College of American Pathologists
- American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer
Annual reports and newsletters