Welcome to the VA NWIHCS Sub-Intern/Residents/Fellows Onboarding Site
To participate in your chosen program at the VA, you will need to complete the following Onboarding requirements. Part 1 should be completed a minimum of 40 days before your start date. If not completed timely, this may delay or remove entry into your rotation. 2023: PIV cards are processed outside of Omaha which has lengthened obtaining your PIV card.
Please work closely with your VA Point of Contact to avoid any unnecessary delays; these department liaisons are available to help and answer your questions.
Part 1 – Required from Sub-Intern/Resident/Fellow: Complete 40 days prior to your scheduled June/July onboarding.
- Fingerprinting – Required for all trainees to obtain a PIV card (for computer access).
- Visit AI Scheduler (gsa.gov) or call the Omaha VA PIV Office at 402-995-5225 to make an appointment. The PIV Office is in the basement of the Main VA Hospital, Room B804.
- You will need to bring either a Driver’s License or Passport to your appointment.
- Bring your completed Fingerprinting form: VA Fingerprint form
- If you are out-of-town, fingerprints may be taken at another VA. You will need to request a courtesy fingerprint for Nebraska Western Iowa Health Care System (NWIHCS), 4101 Woolworth Avenue, Omaha, NE 68105. You will need the following information: Security Officer Identifier (SOI) #VAF5 and Submitting Office Number (SON) #1445. Please contact your Omaha VA POC upon completion.
- Online “Mandatory Training for Trainees” – Required for all trainees.
- You must create an account in the VA’s Talent Management System (TMS) and complete the assigned training to obtain computer and patient access. Follow the directions given on the TMS Instructions to access the website, create your account, and complete your training.
- Check the point of contact list for any information needed below:
- The VA Location being supported. OMA, select VA Medical Center
- Your Trainee Type and Specialty/Discipline. Health Professions Trainee
- The VA Point of Contact’s First Name, Last Name, Email Address, and Telephone Number.
- This is an annual requirement that must be kept current to avoid computer access termination.
- VA Forms – Please follow these instructions carefully to avoid having your paperwork returned: Instructions for Completing VA Paperwork
These eight forms are required for onboarding:
- WOC Letter
- VHA 10-2850D - Application for Health Professions Trainees
- OF-306 - Declaration of Federal Employment
- SF-61 - Appointment Affidavit
- Sponsor Request Form
- Pharmacy Signature Card
- Resident, Fellow, & Sub-Intern Info Sheet
- VA Form 10-3203
Part 2 – VA Internal Processing
Part 3 – PIV Sponsoring and Acquisition of PIV card
- Once the VA Internal Processing is complete, you will be contacted by your VA Department POC with instructions to schedule your appointment to process your PIV card. You are required to bring TWO identity source documents. Documents CANNOT be expired or cancelled. One ID must be a Primary Identity Source Document. The second ID can be either a Primary Identity Source Document or a Secondary Identity Source Document. The PIV card is now printed at a central office and sent to the PIV office. Contact the Omaha VA PIV office to schedule your last appointment to pick up your PIV card.
Part 4 – CPRS (Computerized Patient Record System) Training
If your position requires you to have personal access to the CPRS Medical Records, you will be required to complete this training which comes in two parts; An online course to be completed before your rotation starts, and a face-to-face sign-on session with our CPRS team at the beginning of your rotation. The LIP Provider document below details information on the training and required test. The required test must be completed 15 days prior to your CPRS sign-on session.
Link to Youtube / Survey monkey document
If you have any general questions, please contact the Education Office contact listed on this page or your department/service point of contact.
Omaha VA, Room 9427