What if my school closes temporarily because of a natural disaster?
A natural disaster may affect your education payments in these ways:
- If your school closes temporarily during a term, your payments will continue until the end of the term or for up to 4 weeks, whichever comes first.
- If your school closes temporarily between terms, your payments will start again when you return to school.
- If your school stays open but you can’t attend, your payments will stop.
To keep getting payments while your school is closed, continue to verify your enrollment each month:
- For Post-9/11 GI Bill, verify by text or email.
Learn how to verify enrollment for Post-9/11 GI Bill
- For Montgomery GI Bill, call 877-823-2378 (TTY: 711) or verify online.
Verify enrollment online
- For Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance (DEA) in a non-college degree program, call 888-442-4551 or submit VA Form 22-8979.
Get VA Form 22-8979 to download
Note: If you’re using DEA in a college degree program, you don’t need to verify enrollment to keep getting payments.