Office of Community Care
We provide care to Veterans through community providers when VA cannot provide the care needed.
We provide care to Veterans through community providers when VA cannot provide the care needed. Community care is based on specific eligibility requirements, availability of VA care, and the needs and circumstances of individual Veterans. For community care questions please call 205-554-2926 or 205-554-2000 Ext. 3032/3741
Make appointments with non-VA providers
To obtain community care, you must receive prior approval from VA. Call 205-554-2926 for community care appointment scheduling, weekdays, 8:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m.
Urgent and walk-in care
Your VA health care includes new urgent care access through a network of walk-in retail health clinics and urgent care facilities.
Veterans must have been seen in the VA system, or by a VA community care provider, within the last 24 months in order to use this benefit. If a Veteran arrives at an urgent care location and has any difficulty receiving care, they can call 1-866-620-2071.
Community care billing
Call 1-877-881-7618 with community care billing questions.
How copays and insurance work with VA
The MISSION Act improves information sharing with community providers.
- Travel billing question, call 205-554-3641 (M-F, 8:00 a.m.–4:00 p.m.)
- Ambulance billing question, call 205-554-2000 ext: 2336 (M-F, 8:00 a.m.–4:00 p.m.)
- Triwest billing question, call 1-855-722-2838 (M-F, 8:00 a.m.–4:00 p.m.)
- Optum VA Community Care website
- Co-payment question, call 1-866-347-2352 (M-F, 8:00 a.m.–4:00 p.m.)
- For any other billing question, call 1-877-881-7618 (M-F, 8:00 a.m.–4:00 p.m.)