Whistleblower Navigator Frequently Asked Questions
How can I make a whistleblower disclosure, report whistleblower retaliation, or report VA senior leader misconduct or poor performance to OAWP?
A: Please complete our Complaint and Disclosure Form or call us toll-free at 1-855-429-6669. Anonymous or confidential submissions may be made using either option.
Can I be fired, demoted or suspended from my job at the VA because I filed a whistleblower disclosure with OAWP?
A: Retaliation, taking, threatening to take, or failing to take personnel actions against someone because they made a protected disclosure is prohibited. Please visit OAWP’s Whistleblower Rights and Protections page. If you’ve filed a whistleblower disclosure, consult with the investigator assigned to your disclosure to discuss possible protections available to you if you believe you received a personnel action based on your whistleblower disclosure.
How do I request a copy of a closed OAWP investigation?
A: You may submit a request for information under the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) or Privacy Act via email to email@example.com . See OAWP’s FOIA page for additional information.
How can I request a status update concerning a disclosure I filed with OAWP?
A: Please send the request to firstname.lastname@example.org , referencing the applicable case number within the subject line of the email.
How long does whistleblower protection last after I filed a complaint with OAWP?
A: There is no bright line rule establishing a period of time for which an individual is protected after filing a complaint with OAWP. Agency officials are prohibited from taking, failing to take, or threatening to take a personnel action because an individual filed a complaint with OAWP. Multiple factors are considered when assessing whether prohibited retaliation occurred.
How do I find out if something I’m concerned about is appropriate for OAWP to investigate?
A: If you are seeking additional information about our office, please visit our website, contact the Whistleblower Navigator by email at email@example.com or by phone at 202-461-4500. Additionally, you can review OAWP’s VA Directive 0500. Please note that OAWP does not:
- Issue human resources or legal advisory opinions
- Investigate allegations that involve discrimination and/or reprisal for activity related to filing an equal employment opportunity (EEO) complaint; or
- Investigate allegations already covered under another administrative process, such as the Federal Labor Relations Authority (FLRA), Merit Systems Protection Board (MSPB), and Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC)
How can I find information for programs or resources related to VA Healthcare or benefits?
A: That information can be found by accessing: Helpful VA Phone Numbers | Veterans Affairs .
How can I find telephone numbers for other Veterans Affairs offices other than OAWP?
A: Here’s a list of toll-free telephone numbers for VA support services and other federal agencies.
- Veterans Crisis Line (VCL): 1-800-273-8255 (opt 1)
- Quality of VA Care Related Concerns (VHA)-White House VA Hotline: 1-855-948-2311
- Veteran Disability Claims (VBA): 1-800-827-1000
- Veteran Pension (VBA): 1-877-294-6380
- VA Education Benefits (VBA): 1-888-442-4551
- VA Billing Issues-Compliance & Business Integrity (CBI): 1-866-842-4357
- Criminal Activity-Office of the Inspector General (OIG): 1-800-488-8244
- Whistleblower Reprisal – Office of Special Counsel (OSC): 1-800-872-9855
- Discrimination-Office of Resolution Management, Diversity & Inclusion (ORMDI): 1-888-566-3982 (opt 2)