Office of Accountability and Whistleblower Protection
The Office of Accountability and Whistleblower Protection (OAWP) promotes and improves accountability within the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA)
- The office receives and investigates:
- allegations of misconduct and poor performance against VA senior leaders,
- allegations of whistleblower retaliation against VA supervisors.
- The office receives whistleblower disclosures from VA employees and applicants for VA employment, and if they do not involve whistleblower retaliation or senior leader misconduct or poor performance, refers it for investigation within VA while the office monitors the investigation.
- The office is responsible for tracking and confirming VA’s implementation of recommendations from audits and investigations carried out by VA’s Office of Inspector General, VA’s Office of the Medical Inspector, the U.S. Office of Special Counsel, and the U.S. Government Accountability Office.
- The office educates employees and stakeholders on whistleblower rights and protections.
- Confused about OAWP? The Whistleblower Navigator provides information about whistleblower rights and protections, OAWP policies and processes to whistleblowers, respondents, and other stakeholders. The Whistleblower Navigator is here to facilitate OAWP communication, coordination and collaboration. For more information, email WhistleblowerHelp@va.gov or contact us by phone at (202) 560-7575.
By the Numbers: January 2022 to November 2022
Recommendations were issued by the Office of Accountability and Whistleblower Protection
disciplinary recommendations issued against VA senior leaders for misconduct or poor performance
disciplinary recommendations issued against senior leaders and supervisors for whistleblower retaliation
(e.g., corrective actions for whistleblowers)
relief for other prohibited personnel practice or due process issue
Page last updated on September 6, 2022
VA Office of Accountability and Whistleblower Protection
An official website of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs