COVID-19 vaccines and testing
Safe care is our mission. The Albany Stratton VA Medical Center offers COVID-19 vaccines and testing by appointment to ALL Veterans, Veteran spouses, caregivers of Veterans, and CHAMPVA recipients at no cost.
Full Vaccination against COVID-19 maximizes the safety for your health, the health of your family and the community at large.
Call 518-626-7228, press 2 to schedule your vaccine appointment today, or speak to your Primary Care Team and let them know of your interest in vaccination.
REMINDER: Mandatory masking remains in place for all individuals entering our facilities, regardless of vaccine status, as well as limited visitation.
Upon arrival to the clinic, you may need to wait for staff to prepare your shot. Your patience is appreciated. If you remain undecided about the COVID-19 vaccine, click here to learn more about the importance of protecting yourself, family members, and the community.
Who is Eligible:
- ALL Veterans - A Veteran does not need to be enrolled in VA health care to receive COVID-19 vaccine.
- Spouses of Veterans.
- Caregivers of Veterans - For COVID-19 vaccine eligibility, caregiver is defined as a family member or friend who provides care to a Veteran.
- CHAMPVA Benefits Recipients - Civilian Health and Medical Program of the Department of Veterans Affairs.
- All minors must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian when receiving the vaccine.
COVID-19 Vaccine Booster Information
The health and safety or our Veterans and staff remain a top priority for VA. Vaccine remains the best way to protect everyone from serious illness.
Protect yourself, your family, and your community by scheduling your appointment today. COVID-19 vaccine has been proven to be effective in diminishing the spread of the virus within our communities.
Veterans are asked to bring their valid VA ID card with them and their Vaccination Card.
Who is eligible for a booster?
Anyone age 18 or older who:
• Completed the Moderna or Pfizer series at least 6 months ago
• Received the Johnson & Johnson single dose at least 2 months ago
VA will continue to offer COVID-19 vaccine and boosters to those authorized under Save Lives Act recipients while supplies last.
Why are boosters important?
COVID-19 vaccine effectiveness fades over time.
• A booster will recharge your body’s ability to protect you from COVID-19!
For more information about the COVID-19 booster, visit CDC.gov's booster information page.
If you are an enrolled Veteran who received a vaccination outside of the VA, please report it to your primary care team.
Testing for COVID-19
COVID-19 Testing | Appointment required
The Stratton VA offers COVID-19 testing to Veterans enrolled in VA health care.
Appointments are required. Patience is appreciated while coordinating staff and accommodating previously scheduled appointments.
Veterans who believe they have been exposed to COVID 19 and are seeking a test, are requested to wait at least 2 days following the exposure to be tested. This will help ensure a more accurate result and appropriate follow-up.
Please call 518-626-7228, then press 2 for an appointment.
FREE Home Test Kits:
You can order 4 free at-home COVID-19 tests at COVIDtests.gov, or by calling 1-800-232-0233 (TTY 1-888-720-7489). Order tests now so you have them when you need them. Learn more about COVID-19 testing at VA.
Patient and community resources
- 24-hour nurse: 888-838-7890
- Change your appointment: 518-626-5780 or 800-585-9772
- Media inquiries: 518-626-5522
- National Veterans Helpline: 800-507-4571
- Patient locator: 518-626-5000 or 800-223-4810
- Pharmacy refill: 518-626-7449 or 866-233-0152
- Staff locator: 866-233-0152 or 888-838-7890
- Telephone care: 888-838-7890
- VA Health Connect: 800-877-6976