Skip to Content
Learn what the PACT Act means for your VA benefits

Medical records office

Get copies of your VA medical records online, by mail or fax, or in person at the Birmingham VA Health Care System Release of Information office.

Get your records online

Access your VA medical records online with VA Blue Button. Sign in to view, organize, and share your VA medical records and other personal health information. We don't charge any fees to send copies directly to health care providers.

VA Blue Button

Get your records in person

We can help you get copies of your VA medical records. We can also help you update your records. Call or come to the Release of Information office at the Birmingham VA Medical Center. 

What to bring

  • A completed and signed Individuals’ Request For a Copy of Their Own Health Information (VA Form 10-5345a). Download VA Form 10-5345a
  • Your Veteran Health Identification Card (VHIC)

Release of Information office location

Release of Information Office
Room 2508
Map of Birmingham campus
Phone: 205-933-8101, ext. 336238

FAX: 205-933-3858

Get your records by mail or fax

To request a copy of your VA medical records by mail or fax, send a signed and completed VA Form 10-5345a to our Release of Information office.

Download VA Form 10-5345a

Mail your signed form to
Birmingham VA Health Care System
700 South 19th Street
Birmingham, AL 35233

FAX: 205-933-3858

We process mailed or faxed requests within 10-14 days. For privacy reasons, we can’t accept requests for medical records by email.

How we share your records with providers outside VA

The Veterans Health Information Exchange (VHIE) program lets us electronically share your health information with health care providers who treat you, including participating non-VA providers if you receive care outside of VA.

This program is voluntary, and you can choose not to share your information (opt out of sharing).

Learn more about VHIE

To opt out of sharing

Fill out, sign, and date VA Form 10-10164 (Opt Out of Sharing Protected Health Information).

Mail the signed, completed form to our ROI office. You can also bring it with you or ask for this form when you visit us.

Download VA Form 10-10164 (PDF)

Note: If you had revoked your permission to share, before September 30, 2019, your opt out status will stay active. You don’t need to submit form 10-10164.

To allow sharing after opting out

If you change your mind and want to share your health information, you’ll need to submit VA Form 10-10163 (Request for and Permission to Participate in Sharing Protected Health Information).

Mail the signed, completed form to our ROI office. You can also bring it with you or ask for this form when you visit us.

Download VA Form 10-10163 (PDF)

Request for Amendment of Records Under Privacy Law

An individual or personal representative has the right to request an amendment to their medical record. The right to seek an amendment of an individual’s records is a personal right of the individual to whom the information pertains under the Privacy Act of 1974 [5 U.S.C. §552a (d)] [38 C.F.R. 1.579] and an individuals’ health information under the Health Insurance and Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) Privacy Rule [45 C.F.R. §164.526]. A personal representative of a deceased individual has a right to request an amendment of the decedent’s records.

Amendment Request Submission Format

A request for an amendment of records must be in writing and adequately describe the specific information the individual believes to be inaccurate, incomplete, irrelevant, or untimely and the reason for the belief. If possible, provide copies of the medical records associated with the amendment request.  You may use the attached form, however, it is not required.  The written request must be forwarded to the facility Privacy Officer.

Forward your signed request to the facility Privacy Officer via:

Mail:  Birmingham VAHCS

           Privacy Officer
           700 South 19th Street
           Birmingham, AL 35233
           Fax:  205-933-3863


In-person:  Room 2506

Questions about medical records

You can get another person's medical records if you’re listed as having Power of Attorney (POA) or you’re the patient’s next of kin.

You can get the records of a deceased patient if you have:

  • A copy of their death certificate
  • A valid photo ID for yourself
  • Any POA paperwork or will showing you have a legal right to their record

Yes. If you’re making the request in person, you can tell us what format you would like. If you’re using VA Form 10-5345a, check the “CD-ROM” or “Other” box (and write in DVD).

Yes, we provide all available images on DVD.

If you have a My HealtheVet Premium account, you can also view or download many kinds of radiology images online. A Premium account is one where you’ve gone through extra identity authentication. 

Please ask at a patient registration office, and they will provide you documentation of your VA coverage.