COVID-19 vaccines and testing
Safe care is our mission. The Milwaukee VA offers the COVID-19 vaccine to ALL Veterans, Veteran spouses, caregivers of Veterans, and CHAMPVA recipients at no cost.
COVID-19 Vaccine Booster Information
The health and safety or our Veterans and staff remain a top priority for VA. Vaccine remains the best way to protect everyone from serious illness. Protect yourself, your family, and your community by scheduling your appointment today. COVID-19 vaccine has been proven to be effective in diminishing the spread of the virus within our communities.
Veterans are asked to bring their valid VA ID card with them and the CDC Vaccination Card.
Who is eligible for a booster?
Anyone age 5 or older who:
• Completed the Moderna or Pfizer series at least five months ago
• Received the Johnson & Johnson single dose at least two months ago
VA will continue to offer COVID-19 vaccine and boosters to those authorized under Save Lives Act recipients while supplies last.
Second booster shots
Second booster shots are recommended for adults age 50 and older, and for some people age 12 and older who are moderately or severely immunocompromised. The Milwaukee VA offers second COVID-19 booster shots. All shots are by appointment only. To schedule an appointment, contact the Milwaukee VA Medical Center ZIHP clinic or the Appleton, Green Bay, or Cleveland community-based outpatient clinics:
- Milwaukee: 414-384-2000 ext. 49069
- Appleton: 877-831-0033, or 920-831-0070
- Green Bay: 877-204-7970, or 920-431-2500
- Cleveland: 877-693-5699, or 920-693-5600
If you choose to receive a shot in the community, please let your VA care team know so our records are up to date.
What you need to know:
- Currently, second boosters are for ages 50 and older and those age 12 and older who are immuno-compromised.
- To receive the second booster, at least four months must have passed since receiving the first booster.
- Shots are available for all Veterans, regardless of enrollment status, as well as their families and caregivers.
- Shots will be given by appointment only in certain community-based outpatient clinics and the ZIHP Clinic at the Milwaukee VA Medical Center.
- While the FDA and CDC have authorized both the Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna vaccines for second boosters, the Milwaukee VA only offers Pfizer.
- You can “mix and match” vaccines: If you received Moderna for the first booster, you can get Pfizer for second. This includes Johnson & Johnson as well.
- Reminder: Bring your CDC immunization card.
- If you choose to receive a shot in the community, please let your VA care team know so our records are up to date.
Why is a booster important?
• COVID-19 vaccine effectiveness fades over time.
• A booster will recharge your body’s ability to protect you from COVID-19!
For additional guidance on COVID-19 vaccine boosters: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/booster-shot.html.
Testing for COVID-19 is available for Veterans at the Milwaukee VA Medical Center in our ZIHP Clinic. Appointments are recommended by calling 414-384-2000, ext. 49069. Walk-ins will be accepted if space allows.