Skip to Content
Learn what the PACT Act means for your VA benefits

Medical records office

Get copies of your VA medical records online, by mail or fax, or in person at our VA Pacific Islands health care Release of Information office.

Get your records online

Access your VA medical records online with VA Blue Button. Sign in to view, organize, and share your VA medical records and other personal health information. We don't charge any fees to send copies directly to health care providers.

VA Blue Button

Get your records in person

We can help you get copies of your VA medical records.  Call or visit the Release of Information office at the Spark M. Matsunaga campus.

What to bring

  • A completed and signed Individuals’ Request For a Copy of Their Own Health Information (VA Form 10-5345a). If records are being provided back to the patient. Download VA Form 10-5345a (PDF)
  • Or a completed and signed Request For and Authorization to Release Health Information (VA Form 10-5345) if records are being provided  to anyone other than the patient. Download VA Form 10-5345
  • Your Veteran Health Identification Card (VHIC)

Release of Information office locations

Release of Information Office
Second floor
Map of Spark M. Matsunaga campus
Phone: 808-433-7713 Fax 808-433-0205 Email
Hours: Monday through Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. HT

Get your records by mail or fax

To request a copy of your VA medical records by mail, fax, or secure Message. Send a signed and completed VA Form 10-5345a to our Release of Information office.

If records are being provided back to the patient, Download VA Form 10-5345a (PDF) 

If records are being provided to anyone other than the patient, Download VA Form 10-5345

VA Pacific Islands Medical Center
Release of Information
459 Patterson Road
Honolulu, HI 96819

Fax your signed form to

Secure Message using your Premium MyHealtheVet account

Send to *Release of Information (ROI) – VA Pacific Islands

We process all requests within 20 days. For privacy reasons, we are unable to send medical records by email and electronic signatures are not accepted at this time.

How we share your records with providers outside VA

The Veterans Health Information Exchange (VHIE) program lets us electronically share your health information with health care providers who treat you, including participating non-VA providers if you receive care outside of VA.

This program is voluntary, and you can choose not to share your information (opt out of sharing).

Learn more about VHIE

To opt out of sharing

Fill out, sign, and date VA Form 10-10164 (Opt Out of Sharing Protected Health Information).

Mail the signed, completed form to our ROI office. You can also bring it with you or ask for this form when you visit us.

Download VA Form 10-10164 (PDF)

Note: If you had revoked your permission to share, before September 30, 2019, your opt out status will stay active. You don’t need to submit form 10-10164.

To allow sharing after opting out

If you change your mind and want to share your health information, you’ll need to submit VA Form 10-10163 (Request for and Permission to Participate in Sharing Protected Health Information).

Mail the signed, completed form to our Release Of Information office. You can also bring it with you or ask for this form when you visit us.

Download VA Form 10-10163 (PDF)

Questions about medical records

Can I get someone else's medical records?

You can get another person's medical records if you’re listed as having Power of Attorney (POA) or you’re the patient’s next of kin.

Can I get records of a deceased patient?

You can get the records of a deceased patient if you have:

  • A copy of their death certificate
  • A valid photo ID for yourself
  • Any POA paperwork or will showing you have a legal right to their record

Can I get records on a CD or DVD?

Yes. If you’re making the request in person, you can tell us what format you would like. If you’re using VA Form 10-5345a, check the “CD-ROM” or “Other” box (and write in DVD).

Can I get radiology images and X-rays?

Yes, we provide all available images on DVD.

If you have a My HealtheVet Premium account, you can also view or download many kinds of radiology images online. A Premium account is one where you’ve gone through extra identity authentication. 

Can I get a proof of health insurance document?

Please ask at a patient registration office, and they will provide you documentation of your VA coverage.