Internships and fellowships
Choosing an internship, residency, or fellowship program is a big decision. Much of what you learn will come from your patients, our Veterans. Let us help you develop your future professional career while you serve today’s Veterans.
Training for physicians
You can complete your training through our internship, residency, or fellowship programs at the VA Philadelphia Healthcare System. We offer rotations in the following specialties:
- Emergency medicine residency
- Mental Health Research and Treatment advanced fellowship
We recruit trainees who share our commitment to respect the diversity, dignity, and individuality of all Veterans. We seek candidates interested and experienced in caring for Veterans.
Applicants must meet several eligibility requirements (PDF), including:
- Enrollment in an accredited doctoral program
- Approval for internship, fellowship, or residency status
- U.S. citizenship
- Successful completion of fingerprinting, background checks, and random drug screening
- Selective Service registration, if applicable
Training for associated health care professionals
As a student in an associated health care profession, you can also train for your career at VA Pittsburgh Health Care. We offer paid and unpaid training in several areas. Unpaid training is also called With Out Compensation (WOC).
Our training programs
- Psychology clinical externships
- Psychology clinical internships and clinical post-doctoral residency
- Neuropsychology post-doctoral residency
- Occupational therapy
- Physical therapy
Current interns, residents, and fellows
After you complete most of your clinical training, we encourage you to take this survey to rate your experience. Your feedback helps us to understand what we're doing well and where we need to improve so we can maintain excellence for Veterans and our trainees.
To find out more about our associated health care programs or to ask about a program not listed here, please contact our human resources office:
Director, Human Resources
3900 Woodland Avenue,
Philadelphia, PA 19104
Phone: 215-823-5800, ext. 204007