Skip to Content
Learn what the PACT Act means for your VA benefits

Medical records office

Get copies of your VA medical records online, by mail or fax, or in person at our VA Syracuse health care Release of Information office.

Get your records online

Access your VA medical records online with VA Blue Button of My HealtheVet (premium account).  Sign in to view, organize, and share your VA medical records and other personal health information. We don't charge any fees to send copies directly to health care providers.

VA Blue Button

Get your records in person

We can help you get copies of your VA medical records. We can also help you update your records. Call or come to the Release of Information office at our Syracuse campus.

What to bring

  • A completed and signed Individuals’ Request For a Copy of Their Own Health Information (VA Form 10-5345a). Download VA Form 10-5345a
  • Your Veteran Health Identification Card (VHIC)


  • One complete set of records will be provided to the patient or his/her representative at no charge.
  • For any additional copies, a charge of $0.15 per page will be charged after the first 100 pages.
  • If the request is through a FOIA request (Freedom of Information Act) a charge of $0.15 per page will be charged after the first 100 pages copied. An additional fee will be charged for retrieving the information.

Release of Information office locations

Release of Information Office
800 Irving Avenue
Syracuse, NY 13210
Map of Syracuse campus
Phone: 315-425-4400, ext. 52441
Hours:  Monday thru Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Get your records by mail or fax

To request a copy of your VA medical records by mail or fax, send a signed and completed VA Form 10-5345a to our Release of Information office.

Download VA Form 10-5345a

Syracuse VA Medical Center
Release of Information
800 Irving Avenue
Syracuse, NY 13210

Fax your signed form to

We process mailed or faxed requests within 10-14 days. For privacy reasons, we can’t accept requests for medical records by email.

How we share your records with providers outside VA

The Veterans Health Information Exchange (VHIE) program lets us electronically share your health information with health care providers who treat you, including participating non-VA providers if you receive care outside of VA.

This program is voluntary, and you can choose not to share your information (opt out of sharing).

Learn more about VHIE

To opt out of sharing

Fill out, sign, and date VA Form 10-10164 (Opt Out of Sharing Protected Health Information).

Mail the signed, completed form to our ROI office. You can also bring it with you or ask for this form when you visit us.

Download VA Form 10-10164 (PDF)

Note: If you had revoked your permission to share, before September 30, 2019, your opt out status will stay active. You don’t need to submit form 10-10164.

To allow sharing after opting out

If you change your mind and want to share your health information, you’ll need to submit VA Form 10-10163 (Request for and Permission to Participate in Sharing Protected Health Information).

Mail the signed, completed form to our Release Of Information office. You can also bring it with you or ask for this form when you visit us.

Download VA Form 10-10163 (PDF)

Questions about medical records

Can I get someone else's medical records?

You can get another person's medical records if you’re listed as having Power of Attorney (POA) or if you are granted written consent by the patient or other person authorized to grant release.

Can I get records of a deceased patient?

You can get the records of a deceased patient if you have:

  • A copy of their death certificate
  • A valid photo ID for yourself
  • Any POA paperwork or will showing you have a legal right to their record

Can I get records on a CD or DVD?

Yes. If you’re making the request in person, you can tell us what format you would like. If you’re using VA Form 10-5345a, check the “CD-ROM” or “Other” box (and write in DVD).

Can I get radiology images and X-rays?

Yes, we provide all available images on DVD.

If you have a My HealtheVet Premium account, you can also view or download many kinds of radiology images online. A Premium account is one where you’ve gone through extra identity authentication. 

Can I get a proof of health insurance document?

Please ask at a patient registration office, and they will provide you documentation of your VA coverage.

Freedom of Information Act (FOIA)

  • Any person, partnerships, corporations, associations and foreign, state or local governments may make a FOIA request.
  • Before releasing records, records will be reviewed to determine if any information may be withheld under one of the nine FOIA exemptions (remove: all or only parts of it can be released.)
  • A request for access to official records under FOIA must be in writing and signed by the requestor.
  • The VA is not required to create a record in response to a FOIA request. The VA also has no legal obligation to write, revise, reassemble, catalogue, or to obtain or produce new documents for a requestor.