Skip to Content
Your browser is out of date. To use this website, please update your browser or use a different device.
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Montgomery GI Bill Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR)

If you’re a member of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps or Coast Guard Reserve, Army National Guard, or Air National Guard, you may be able to get up to 36 months of education and training benefits under the Montgomery GI Bill Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR) program. Find out if you qualify.

Can I get education benefits under this program?

You can get education benefits if you meet the requirements listed below.

One of these must be true:

  • You have a 6-year service obligation (you agreed to serve 6 years) in the Selected Reserve, or
  • You’re an officer in the Selected Reserve and you agreed to serve 6 years in addition to your initial service obligation

And all of these must also be true. You:

  • Finish your initial active duty for training (IADT), and
  • Get a high school diploma or something of equal value, like a High School Equivalency Diploma or GED, before finishing IADT, and
  • Stay in good standing while serving in an active Selected Reserve unit.

What benefits can I get?

You may get up to $368 per month in compensation (payments).

How do I get these benefits?

Apply online now.

How can I use my MGIB-SR education benefits?

You can use your benefits in many ways to advance your education and training.

We may help you pay for:

We may also:

In some cases, we may help you pay for:

  • Remedial courses (classes some students must take to build up their basic skills in math, reading, or English before they can take regular college courses),
  • Deficiency courses (classes some student must take in order to be admitted to a certain college)
  • Refresher courses (brief courses that help people review and improve their knowledge in a certain subject area)

See current payment rates.

Get more information

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the United States Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). The absence of the registration symbol® does not constitute a waiver of VA’s trademark rights in that phrase. Read our Terms of Use.