No-cost flu shots in your community for eligible Veterans
It’s time to get a flu shot! Eligible Veterans can get a no-cost flu shot at a community provider in VA’s network.
Getting a flu shot protects you, your family and your community. And if needed, you can safely get vaccinated for COVID at the same time you get a flu shot – one visit, two vaccines. (Call ahead so your community provider has COVID vaccine available.)
Eligible Veterans can get a no-cost flu shot at a community provider in VA's network. Find an in-network community care provider by choosing a location in the drop down menu of the VA locator. You can choose one of 70,000 in-network pharmacy or urgent care locations nationwide.
No-cost flu vaccines are available at retail pharmacies and urgent care locations from Sept. 1, 2022, through April 30, 2023.
Get a no-cost flu shot at a community provider in VA’s network
Beginning Sept. 1, 2022, eligible Veterans can choose from one of nearly 70,000 in-network retail pharmacies and urgent care/walk-in locations to get their flu shot.
The provider must be part of VA’s community care network:
- Retail pharmacies include most supermarket and local pharmacies.
- Many urgent care locations offer walk-in care.
- Call ahead to see if a pharmacy participates in the VA flu shot program.
- If you receive a flu shot from a non-network provider, you may be liable for the cost of the vaccine.
Who can get a flu shot at a community provider?
You are eligible to receive a flu shot at an in-network retail pharmacy or urgent care location if:
- You are enrolled in the VA health care system, AND,
- You received care from a VA provider or an in-network community care provider within the past 24 months
How do I know if I am eligible?
- Call 800-MyVA411 (800-698-2411)
Select option 1 (urgent care information)
Select option 3 (urgent care information)
Select option 1 (check urgent care eligibility)
The system will verify your eligibility for the community urgent care benefit, which includes the flu vaccination.
- Or call your local VA facility
- Your state may have age and health-related restrictions.
NOTE: Family members and beneficiaries are not eligible.
Where can I get a no-cost flu shot?
To locate a VA medical facility, in-network urgent care or retail pharmacy near you, use the VA Locator, here’s how:
- Enter the city, state or postal ZIP code for your location.
- Choose a Facility Type from the drop down:
- Select VA health for VA medical center locations
- Select Urgent Care, for “All in-network urgent care”
- Select Community pharmacies (in VA’s network)
- Click search
- Choose a provider
What should I know before I go?
Before you go:
- Call to ensure the urgent care provider or retail pharmacy offers the no-cost flu shot benefit and the vaccine type you are seeking (some flu vaccines are for people aged 65 and older).
- Bring the billing information flyer (print it or take a screenshot on your phone).
When you arrive:
- Tell the provider you are a Veteran enrolled in VA health care.
- Tell them you would like to receive the flu shot paid for by VA.
- Show your government-issued ID and the billing information flyer. (Print, take a screenshot or pull up this page at time of vaccine.)
- There is no cost to you if your visit is only for a flu shot.
- You should not pay a copay if you only get a flu shot.
- For assistance with in-network community flu shots, call 877-881-7618 or your local VA facility.
Who updates my medical records?
The community provider will send your flu shot vaccination documentation to VA. VA will update your medical record. You can also request a copy of your flu shot documentation and provide it to your VA provider.