Skip to Content

2023 Women Veterans Town Hall recap and resources

2023 Women's Veterans Town Hall

The Corporal Michael J. Crescenz VA Medical Center (CMCVAMC) hosted a Women Veterans Town Hall on April 12, 2023. The event featured remarks from the Medical Center Director, VBA Executive Director, , and Guest Speakers from Fox Chase Cancer officials from the VBA and NCA..

Instructions for Accessing the Recording

To access the recording, click here or copy and paste the following link into your web browser:

After clicking the link or copying it into your web browser, you should see the Official VA Philadelphia Medical Center Facebook website. 

You have the option to share the Facebook video  or watch the recording on the web (white button on the right). 

The recording will begin to play and you have the ability to pause, rewind, or fast forward through the event. 

If you are unable to reach the Facebook website, please close your browser and try the link again. If you are still unable to access the recording, restart your computer and try the link again.

If you have questions about accessing the recording, email Rita Chapelle at


Town Hall Comments, Questions & Answers

Military Sexual Trauma

What is the Philadelphia VA doing to support female Veterans who are survivors of Military Sexual Trauma (MST)?

Military Sexual Trauma can be a very difficult life experience, but recovery is possible, and the VA offers a range of services to MST survivors no matter where they are in their recovery. The following treatment is offered at CMCVAMC:

  • Free treatment for any physical or mental health conditions related to experiences of MST. No documentation of the MST experience or VA disability compensation rating is required to get treatment. Some individuals can receive this free MST-related care even if they are not eligible for other VA care.
  • An MST Coordinator who serves as a contact person for MST-related issues and who can assist you with accessing care. For questions about treatment and health care options related to MST, contact Dr. Louis Rivera, MST Coordinator, at 215-823-5800 ext. 204755. Our female co-coordinator for MST is currently on extended leave. If you do not feel comfortable talking to Dr. Rivera, please contact the Patient Advocate so they may arrange an alternative solution.
  • MST-related outpatient services
  • MST-related outpatient counseling is also available through the local Vet Center.
  • For Veterans needing more intensive treatment and support, VA also provides MST-related mental health treatment in residential or inpatient settings.
  • Veterans may also ask to meet with a clinician of a particular gender if it would help them feel more comfortable.
  • Beyond MST Mobile AppFree, secure, and private self-help mobile app created specifically to support the health and well-being MST survivors.

My HealtheVet

Sometimes I just want to remind my neurologist to renew my prescriptions; however, My HealtheVet (MHV) does not allow me to securely message my neurologist, only my primary caregiver. Is there anything that can be done to fix this?

For assistance with MHV, please contact Senior MHV Coordinator Yvette Roberts at 215-823-4488.

National Cemetery Administration

How can we get more information on cemetery burial?

For information on burial benefits, visit Burial Benefits - National Cemetery Administration ( or call 800-698-2411.

Does the free burial include a cremation?

The VA does not pay for cremation directly. Any item or service obtained from a funeral home will be at the families' expense. Some Veterans' families may be entitled to a burial allowance, which may cover some of these expenses.

Are we eligible for a free headstone?

Find out how to apply for a headstone, grave or niche marker, or medallion to honor a Veteran, service member, or eligible family member by visiting Veterans Headstones, Markers, And Medallions | Veterans Affairs (

Veterans Benefits Administration

I have injuries to my hand and arms, and I am currently trying to get Social Security Disability Insurance. In the event I get denied, where can I find help for the possibility of returning to work and being retrained into a job that accommodates my injuries?

If you have a service-connected disability that limits your ability to work or prevents you from working, Veteran Readiness and Employment (formerly called Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment) can help. This program helps you explore employment options and address education or training needs. For more information, visit Veteran Readiness And Employment (VR&E) | Veterans Affairs ( or call 800-827-1000.

Resources for Women Veterans

The following list of resources was provided by town hall attendees. To contribute to this list, please contact Women Veteran Program Manager Julie Allen at

Veterans Service Organizations - Philadelphia Regional Office (
To become a VSO representative, visit Accredited Representatives Home (

Veterans & Gardening, Learning to Grow Hope - Heroic Gardens

WoVeN I Women Veterans Network I (

Wounded Warrior Project - Philadelphia Chapter | Facebook

Shamrock Reins | Equine Assisted Activities and Therapies for Veterans

Center for Women Veterans (CWV)