COVID-19 vaccines and testing
COVID-19 Vaccines and Boosters VA is providing COVID-19 vaccines, as authorized by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Supply varies by facility. You can also receive your booster outside of VA. You can locate a vaccine site at https://www.vaccines.gov/search/. We continue to encourage all eligible individuals to get vaccinated.
Information on Additional Doses/Boosters
- Veterans can call the COVID-19 hotline 415-750-2204) to schedule appointments at our Medical Center’s Fort Miley campus and VA Clinics.
- What COVID-19 vaccine will be provided at SFVA? Moderna (brand name: Spikevax)
- Can Veterans receive the new COVID-19 vaccine in the community? Yes! Veterans can receive flu and COVID-19 vaccines in the community at no cost. Follow the instructions on the OCC-Billing-Information-Card.pdf (va.gov) and reference page 2 for the region that includes California. After Veterans confirm their eligibility and choose a pharmacy, we recommend taking a photo or print the page to take with them in the event the pharmacy is not familiar with the billing information.
- All VA health care staff and VA health care enrollees are eligible to receive the new COVID-19 vaccine. The Save Lives Act (SLA) expired May 2023, so VA is no longer authorized to administer vaccine to individuals not eligible for VA care (i.e., caregivers, spouses, Veterans not eligible to enroll in VA health care).
- Vaccination cards are optional.
All Veterans with symptoms concerning for COVID-19 or those who are five (5) days from a confirmed exposure, may contact the 24-hour nurse advice line (800-733-0502) or their primary care clinic to arrange a COVID-19 test. Due to resource limitations, we do not offer repeat COVID testing for those who have recently tested positive, or for pre-travel or employment purposes.
Free tests at COVIDtests.gov
What vaccines are available?
We offer the Moderna vaccine.
How can I register to be contacted for a COVID-19 vaccine appointment?
If you know an individual who is interested in receiving the vaccine at the Fort Miley campus or one of the SFVAHCS’ community-based outpatient clinic (CBOC) locations, please instruct them to make an appointment:
- Call this number to make a vaccine appointment for any of the following locations: 415-750-2204
- San Francisco VA Medical Center - Fort Miley Campus
- Downtown San Francisco
- San Bruno
- Santa Rosa
I’m a Veteran who is not enrolled in VA health care. How can I enroll?
I have a specific medical condition and don’t know if it’s a good idea for me to be vaccinated. Who should I ask?
If you have a question about your personal medical history, please communicate with your primary care provider. You can also learn quite a bit about the specifics of the COVID-19 vaccine at our Keep Me Informed tool.
In the meantime, what can I do to fight COVID-19?
Keep up the 3W’s!
It’s important for everyone to continue using all the tools available to help stop this pandemic as we learn more about how COVID-19 vaccines work in real-world conditions. Even after vaccination, Veterans and employees should continue to:
- Wear a face covering
- Watch your distance (stay 6 feet apart)
- Wash hands frequently
To get the latest updates and sign up to stay informed about COVID-19 vaccines, visit VA's vaccine information page