Skip to Content
Your browser is out of date. To use this website, please update your browser or use a different device.
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Work Study

Find out if you can earn money while you go to school through our work-study program if you’re a full-time or three-quarter-time college, vocational, or professional student using VA education benefits.

Can I be a part of the work-study program?

You can take part in VA’s work-study program if you meet all of the requirements listed below.

All of these must be true:

Who’s covered?

  • Veterans
  • Qualified dependents using education benefits

What kind of benefits can I get?

You can get a paid for a part-time job while you study.

How do I get these benefits?

You’ll need to apply for the work-study program by filling out an Application for Work-Study Allowance (VA Form 22-8691).
Download VA Form 22-8691.

Get in touch with the regional processing office that handles your claim if you have any questions. Veterans with disabilities related to their service (called service-connected disabilities) rated at least at 30% may be considered first.
Contact your regional processing office.

What kind of job can I get?

Under VA’s work-study program, you can:

  • Work at a VA facility
  • Work at Department of Defense, Coast Guard, or National Guard locations that oversee MGIB-SR or REAP
  • Work at a state Veterans agency to help Veterans get VR&E benefits
  • Work at a Center of Excellence for Veteran Student Success to support the academic, financial, physical, and social needs of Veteran students
  • Work in a cooperative program carried out jointly by VA and an institution of higher learning
  • Work in any Veteran-related position in an institution of higher learning. For example, you could help Veteran students with general questions about Veteran benefits, process documents for Veterans, or maintain and organize Veteran-related files.

How much will I earn?

You’ll earn an hourly wage that’s the same as the federal minimum wage or your state minimum wage, whichever is greater. If you’re in a work-study job at a college or university, your school may pay you the difference between the amount we pay and the amount the school normally pays other work-study students doing the same job.

You may elect to be paid in advance for 40% of the hours in your work-study agreement, or for 50 hours, whichever is fewer. After you’ve worked the hours covered by your first payment, we’ll pay you each time you finish 50 hours of service, or biweekly, whichever comes first.

You may work during or between enrollment periods. The total number of hours you work during your enrollment can’t be more than 25 times the number of weeks in your enrollment period.