Resources and Tools
The VA Community Playbook is a collection of practices for building effective and sustainable community coalitions with the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), federal and state partners, community stakeholders, and service providers.
The playbook contains valuable resources for a broad range of stakeholders—including Veteran advocates; Veteran-serving organizations; community coalitions and boards; and federal, state, county, and public-private entities—at all levels. Inside you’ll also find information on VA’s VetResources Community Network (VRCN) and Community of Practice (COP), which aim to promote dialogue and share lessons learned on customer experience data, tools, technology, and engagement. Request to join the VA VRCN and COP.
Whether you’re just starting out or are already a part of a well-established Veteran community, the playbook delivers tools to cultivate and sustain a successful Veteran-friendly community with a built-in, coordinated support system that is localized, needs-based, and outcome-driven.
The Veterans Experience Office stands ready to support you. Schedule a no-cost consult with VA to learn more about the playbook, partnerships, community engagement, events, and communications.
This case study in partnerships (PDF, 5 pages) identifies barriers and facilitators to forming effective collaborations between VA medical centers and community-based social service networks that cover similar catchment areas. Learn more about essential elements required for successful partnerships as well as navigating leadership levels, defining requirements, and sustaining collaborative efforts.
A playbook and other tools are available to VA and community leaders that provide a model framework and philosophy for sparking these community movements.
- CVEB Event Attendee Evaluation
- CVEB Events and After Action Report Tool
- CVEB Frequently Asked Questions
- CVEB Name Plate Template
- CVEB Operating Framework for Board Members and Co-Chairs
- CVEB Overview
- Community Playbook Portrait
- CVEB Potential Members
- CVEB Public Forum Best Practices
- CVEB Public Forum Planning Guide
- CVEB Sample Charter
- CVEB Sample Project Plan
- CVEB Survey Instrument and Methods
- Data Resource Guide
- Understanding the Model
- 10 Ways to End and Prevent Homelessness
- Homeless Veterans Outreach Toolkit
- Medical-Legal Partnerships and Community Engagement
- Mental Health - Community Provider Toolkit
- Post 911 Veteran Organizations
- Talking with a Veteran in Crisis Handout
- Traditional Veteran Organizations
- Understanding Public/Private Partnerships
- VA Cemetery FAQs
- Veterans Journey Map (Blank)
- Veterans Journey Map (Blank) Activity Guide
- Women Veterans Journey Map
- Women Veterans Storybook