Resources for schools
Resources for schools is a one-stop shop for School Certifying Officials (SCOs) and school administrators assisting students who are using their VA benefits to pursue education and training programs. Find trainings, resources, guides, and information on GI Bill programs to support military-connected students.
On this page
Key resources for SCOs
SCO Handbook | VA-ONCE | VA-ONCE Quick Reference Guide | Public WEAMS | Find your ELR | COVID-19 FAQs for SCOs | VRRAP For Schools | Foreign Program Approval Information | 85/15 FAQs | Veteran Readiness and Employment (VR&E) SCO Handbook
Training and guides
Use these resources to get training and boost your skills to help support military-connected students.
- How-to guide for on-the-job training (OJT) and apprenticeship schools
- VA-ONCE how-to guide for flight schools
Extension campus certification scenarios:
- Certification at a main and extension campus
- Certification for distance hours at a main campus and in-residence hours at an extension campus
- Reduction of hours at an extension campus
- All credit hours dropped at an extension campus
- Certification at a main and 2 extension campuses with non-standard terms
VA-ONCE demo recordings:
Policies and procedures
Learn about policies and procedures that apply to GI Bill legislation and VA educational programs and benefits.
How does a facility begin the process of GI Bill program approval?
The approval process for GI Bill programs generally begins with the State Approving Agency (SAA) of jurisdiction. Contact your SAA to seek approval for education and training programs in your respective state. They’re the path to a program’s eligibility for payment of VA education benefits.
When is VA responsible for approval of education and training programs?
VA will approve schools in some circumstances and for some states that don’t have an SAA assigned. If you fall into one of these groups, VA will review your application.
Applications for jurisdictions where VA is acting as SAA:
How do you receive approval for on-the-job training programs?
See our Approval of On-the-Job Training Programs fact sheet, which addresses the following requirements: programs, wages, and facilities. See information for Federal Agency program approval.
Forever GI Bill:Benefits by chapter:
Tuition and housing:
- Post-9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33)
- Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance (DEA, Chapter 35)
- Montgomery GI Bill—Active Duty (MGIB-AD, Chapter 30)
- Montgomery GI Bill—Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR, Chapter 1606)
- Post-Vietnam Era Veterans’ Educational Assistance Program (VEAP, Chapter 32)
- Veteran Readiness and Employment (VR&E, Chapter 31)
- Personalized Career Planning and Guidance (Chapter 36)