To protect Veterans and employees, VA is following the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s recommendations for homelessness services systems and providers.
Find information and resources for Veterans who are struggling with or at risk of food insecurity.
Visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s website to view the most up-to-date information about COVID-19 for homelessness individuals and homelessness service systems and providers.
What Veterans Who Are Homeless or At Risk of Homelessness Should do for Help
Veterans who are homeless or at imminent risk of homelessness are strongly encouraged to contact the National Call Center for Homeless Veterans at (877) 4AID-VET (877-424-3838) for assistance. If Veterans do not have access to a phone or the internet, only then are they to visit their closest VA medical center without calling in advance. VA also urges Veterans who are not homeless or at risk of homelessness to contact their VA medical center before visiting for any reason. These steps are necessary to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
Each VA facility has created separate areas or zones to isolate Veterans with possible or confirmed COVID-19 from uninfected patients who need other routine and emergent care. VA is also identifying appropriate quarantine options for Veterans who are homeless to receive treatment if they are symptomatic or screen positive for COVID-19 but are not ill enough for hospital-level care.
No Veteran Should Be Without a Place to Call Home
VA is committed to ending homelessness among Veterans. Our focus is threefold:
- Conducting coordinated outreach to proactively seek out Veterans in need of assistance.
- Connecting homeless and at-risk Veterans with housing solutions, health care, community employment services and other required supports.
- Collaborating with federal, state and local agencies; employers; housing providers, faith-based and community nonprofits; and others to expand employment and affordable housing options for Veterans exiting homelessness.
- VA encourages donations to help homeless Veterans or those at risk of homelessness during COVID-19 pandemic
va.gov | Posted May 18, 2020
- VASNHS Delivers Food to Veterans
U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs | Posted May 15, 2020
- HUD Funding Opportunity: Estimating the Prevalence and Probability of Homeless Youth
grants.gov | Posted May 15, 2020
- HUD’s Notice of Funding Opportunity (NOFA)
hud.gov | Posted May 15, 2020
- Veterans who are homeless or at imminent risk of becoming homeless can call or visit their local VA Medical Center or Community Resource and Referral Center where VA staff are ready to help.
- Veterans and their families may also call 1-877-4AID-VET (1-877-424-3838) to access VA services.
- Explore www.va.gov/homeless to learn about VA programs for Veterans who are homeless and share that information with others.
Download posters, brochures, and other materials to reach out to Veterans and help VA end homelessness.