Explore Veteran Resources
Native American Direct Loan Program Webcast
On November 22, 2013: The Office of Tribal Government Relations and the VBA Loan Guaranty Office held a webcast on the Native American Direct Loan Program. More
VA Native American Direct Loan Program
NADL Participating Tribes
Download a list of tribes participating in the Native American Direct Loan (NADL) Program.
VA and Seminole Nation of Oklahoma Sign MOU for Home Loans to Veterans
The Memorandum of Understanding gives Native American Veterans and their spouses the opportunity to use their VA home loan guaranty benefit on Federal trust land. Read more »
NCA Tribal Cemetery Grant Information
Read more about this program.
The Smithsonian’s National Museum of the American Indian (NMAI) has been charged by Congress with establishing a National Native American Veterans Memorial, to give “all Americans the opportunity to learn of the proud and courageous tradition of service of Native Americans in the Armed Forces of the United States.”
Kevin Gover, Director of the National Museum of the American Indian, gives a presentation on the National Native American Veterans Memorial on September 28, 2016.
- American Indian and Alaska Native Culture Card — Intended to enhance cultural competence when serving American Indian and Alaska Native communities. Covers regional differences; cultural customs; spirituality; communications styles; the role of veterans and the elderly, and health disparities, such as suicide.
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs and Indian Health Service Memorandum of Understanding Annual Report - Fiscal Year 2016
- VA Health Benefits Reference Library
- Alaska Veterans Outreach Video
- Traditional Based Practices for American Indians/Alaska Native with SUDs — Dr. Dickerson, Inupiaq, from UCLA covers his study in the webinar, "Drum Assisted Recovery Therapy for Native Americans" (DARTNA). Although his sample size is small, his study has promising results that demonstrate, as we know as Natives, that drumming with talking circles can be effective. Download the webinar handouts.
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder — Assisting American Indian Veterans of Iraq and Afghanistan Cope with Posttraumatic Stress Disorder: Lessons from Vietnam Veterans and the Writings of Jim Northrup
- Veterans Resource Guide for Tribal Justice Systems (Third Edition) — Download opening letter and Guide.
- Veterans Justice Outreach Specialists — Veterans Justice Outreach Specialists are responsible for direct outreach, assessment, and case management for justice-involved Veterans in local courts and jails, and liaison with local justice system partners.
- The Health Eligibility Center (HEC) — Enrollment Priority Groups Fact Sheet and Indian Health Services (IHS) & Tribal Health Program (THP) Eligibility and Enrollment Verification
- Office of Tribal Government Relations Quick Reference
- HUD Office of Native American Programs/Tribal HUD-VASH
- USDA Veterans’ Resources
- Training Materials — Presentations and reference materials from past training summits are available for download.
We have listed links here which we consider useful to our Native American community.
- Veterans Health Administration (VHA)
- Veterans Benefits Administration (VBA)
- National Cemetery Administration (NCA) Website
- National Cemetery Administration (NCA) Map
- Presentation: VA National Cemeteries in Indian Country
- Office of Rural Health
- U.S. Department of Interior-Bureau of Indian Affairs listing of federally recognized tribes
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services-Indian Health Service
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Crisis Line
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Program
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs- Homeless Initiative
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs- E-Benefits Program
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Facility Locator
- Military Sexual Trauma (MST) Resource Homepage
- The Farmer-Veteran Coalition
- Consumer Financial Protection Bureau Information for Servicemembers
- Education & Training Resources for Veterans
- Webinar: Cultural Awareness to Help While Serving Native Veterans
- Administration for Native Americans
- VA eBenefits
- Physician Compare
- Overview of VA health care and how to apply (approx. 2 minutes)
- Top 5 Benefits of the VA Home Loan Program (approx. 3 minutes)
- Hiring Veterans: VetSuccess, Tax Incentives and DOL Job Centers (approx. 3 minutes)
- Tips for Navigating the VA Claims Process (approx. 8 minutes)
- Diagnosing PTSD (approx. minutes)
- A Sacred Trust (Burial Benefits) (approx. 2 minutes)
- Caregiver Support: Extended Benefits (approx. 2 minutes)
- Women Veterans' Stories of Service: Vivian Greeno (approx. 5 minutes)
- Suicide Prevention (approx. 2 minutes)
- How to Help Homeless Veterans (approx. 2 minutes)
- Tribal Government 101: A reference for individuals working in Indian Country