Robert W. Carey Performance Excellence Award
The Secretary of Veterans Affairs’ Robert W. Carey Performance Excellence Award is an annual award sponsored by the Secretary. This Award recognizes organizations within the Department that have implemented management approaches that result in sustained high levels of performance and service to the veterans we serve.
The award is named in memory of Robert W. Carey, a publicly recognized VA quality leader and a champion for excellence in the federal government. He was the Director of the Philadelphia Regional Office and Insurance Center from 1985 until 1990.
The award criteria are aligned with the Malcolm Baldrige Criteria for Performance Excellence. These criteria are nationally recognized as a framework and standard for organizational excellence.
Secretary's 2015 Carey Performance Excellence Program
Org Self Assessment
2011 Trophy Winner
Veterans Health Care System of the Ozarks, Fayetteville, Arkansas
Award Recipient Winners
Carey Application Books, Timeline and Criteria
- 2012 Carey Trophy Application This book contains descriptions of the Carey program process, timeline, and reporting requirements.
- 2012 Carey COE Application This book contains descriptions of the Carey program process, timeline, and reporting requirements.
- 2012 Carey Trophy Timeline This file contains key due dates for the Carey Award cycle.
- 2012 Carey COE Timeline This file contains key due dates for the Carey COE Award cycle.
- Carey Evaluation Criteria — This is a link to the Baldrige Performance Excellence site which contains the Business, Education, and Health Care Criteria. Carey applicants may use either Business or Health Care criteria.
Developing Applications, Site Visits, and Carey Judges
- 2013 Planning to Prepare a Carey Application - This desk guide provides firt-time applicants with an overview of time and resources needed to develop a Carey Award Application.
- Tips for Writing a Carey Application This guide provides potential applicants with an approach for writing an application. It includes examples and answers to some frequently asked questions.
- 2013 Judges Desk Guide - This file contains a description of the duties and responsibilities of a Carey Program Judge/Judges.
- 2012 Carey Site Visit Guide This file contains a description of the general site visit process including the responsibilities of examiners and applicants.
Training and Board of Examiners
Symposium and Awards Ceremony