New Blue Button Enhancements in September 2014
My HealtheVet Release 12.10 includes several enhancements to the VA Blue Button:
- As shown in the sample files, the VA Blue Button output header has an updated version number: Produced by the VA Blue Button (v12.10)
- The VA Blue Button user interface has been redesigned to group data classes into categories based on direct Veteran feedback.
- The data class Self-Reported Demographics is now an optional data class that can be selected for inclusion by the user.
- VA Notes now include Consult Result Notes.
- Minor formatting improvements for Blue Button output (see sample files below)
Blue Button Enhancements in September 2013
My HealtheVet Release 12.6 includes some additional enhancements to the VA Blue Button:
- For VA data classes, when no data is available from Vista, the field now displays double dashes. A key has been added instructing the user.
Key: Double dashes (--) mean there is no information to display.
- Improved wrapping function to resolve issue with display of VA Notes
- Minor formatting improvements for Blue Button output (see release notes and sample files)
Blue Button Enhancements in July 2013
My HealtheVet Release 12.5.1 includes key enhancements to the VA Blue Button/ VA CCD:
- More timely access to information by reducing the ‘hold periods’ for two VA data classes included in the VA CCD (Problem List and Laboratory Results) from 7 calendar days to 3 calendar days. These changes synchronize the hold period business rules for the VA CCD with the VA Blue Button.
- Enhanced user-friendly section descriptions in the VA CCD Style Sheet and PDF view.
- Re-enablement of the PDF file format for the VA Blue Button and VA CCD.
- Cautionary content added to the user interface
- New View/Print button for the PDF format with inline PDF viewer
- Pop-up window presented to users when they choose the Download PDF button, enabling them to view cautionary content then continue or cancel
Collaboration with industry partners can enhance the value of blue button data by enabling applications and tools that can enhance the appearance and usefulness of the data. To support our industry partners we provide sample files and release notes with additional details (below).
Sample VA Blue Button and Health Summary (VA CCD) Release Files
Sep 2014: ASCII Text File | Adobe PDF | VA CCD XML | VA CCD PDF | 12.10 Release Notes
Sep 2013: ASCII Text File | Adobe PDF | VA CCD XML | VA CCD PDF | 12.6 Release Notes
Jul 2013: ASCII Text File | Adobe PDF | VA CCD XML | VA CCD PDF | 12.5.1 Release Notes
Jun 2013: ASCII Text File | Adobe PDF | VA CCD XML | VA CCD PDF | 12.5 Release Notes
Mar 2013: ASCII Text File | Adobe PDF | VA CCD XML | VA CCD PDF | 12.4 Release Notes
Jan 2013: ASCII Text File | Adobe PDF | VA CCD XML | 12.3 Release Notes
Release 12.2.1 (Oct 2012): ASCII Text File | Adobe PDF
Release 12.2 (Sep 2012): ASCII Text File | Adobe PDF
Release 12.0 (Dec 2011): ASCII Text File | Adobe PDF
Questions about Blue Button
If you have questions about how to use Blue Button, please visit My HealtheVet's Frequently Asked Questions.
If you have questions about DoD Military Service Information available in Blue Button, please visit this Frequently Asked Questions page dedicated to Military Service Information.
More Information about VA's Blue Button
VA's Blue Button Fact Sheet | Military Service Information Fact Sheet
Blue Button Data.org
Smart phone application from Northrop Grumman
Personal Health Record from Microsoft
Smart phone application offered by Humetrix
If you have other resources that should be included here, please contact us at VABlueButtonTeam@va.gov.