Geriatrics and Extended Care
Gerofit - A Program that Promotes Exercise and Health for Older Veterans
The Gerofit Program
Gerofit is a supervised exercise program that promotes health and wellness for older Veterans. Participants in the program have demonstrated improved health, mental, physical function and well-being. Gerofit is a great way for Veterans to stay active by using a variety of strength and aerobic classes. Also, by participating in group classes like tai chi, dancing, walking and balance. For those who don't live near an available Gerofit site, please visit our contact page to find out how we can help. All Veterans are given a personalized exercise prescription and guidance in carrying out the exercise program is provided by trained exercise staff such as physiologists, nurses or physical therapists.
Starting in Durham in 1987, the program is now offered at 15 different VA Healthcare Systems around the country. For a list of locations visit the contact page, found on the navigation panel.
Gerofit is a great way for older Veterans to stay active. Learn about other evidence-based VA and community programs for staying active including:
- Gentle Tai Chi, aquatics, and walking routines that are safe, easy to learn, and suited for every fitness level
- Enroll in a class with other people, or buy a DVD to do exercises at home
Go4Life (National Institute on Aging campaign)
- Helps you fit exercise and physical activity into your daily life
- Offers exercises, tips, and free resources to help you get ready, start exercising, and stay active
- Includes an exercise guide, a video, and an interactive website
- A national weight management program designed to help Veterans lose weight, keep it off and improve their health.
- An exercise program for active, older adults. Walking, weight training, yoga.
Gerofit - a component of Well-Being
Staying Active is an important part of over-all Well-Being. The components of Well-Being are:
- Stay Active
- Stay Safe
- Find Balance
- Eat Healthy
- Sleep Well
- Maintain Relationships
- Nuture Your Spirit
- Lower Stress
- What’s in My Community
To explore additional ways to enhance your well-being visit: www.va.gov/GERIATRICS/Guide/LongTermCare/Wellness.asp