Geriatrics and Extended Care
Well-Being: Maintain Relationships
Being connected to others – even pets – is important.
- People with strong social ties are healthier, happier, and live longer.
- Spouses, partners, and other family and friends can help you stay healthy and support you when you are sick.
- Close relationships provide a way to share your life and allow you to care for others and be cared for in return whether you are healthy or ill.
- As you age, friends and family may become more involved in your health care or help with everyday tasks.
- Try these tips for making and keeping friends:
- Be confident; focus on your good qualities and people will like you just the way you are
- Introduce yourself; spend more time around people
- Volunteer or join a new group, perhaps a class, team, club, or organization with people who share a common interest
- Start conversations – try the 30% talking and 70% listening ratio
- Be reliable, loyal, and trustworthy; show appreciation – thank friends and return favors
- Don’t rush a friendship; let it unfold naturally
- Maintain contact with new friends and reach out to old friends
Programs that Work for Veterans
The programs and resources listed below are offered in communities throughout the U.S. and are not specifically endorsed by the VA. Open the link to learn more about the program/resource and to find a location near you.
Communication and dating in midlife and beyond
- Sex and health issues
- Offers information related to aging and sexual health
- Articles about common problems/challenges
- Resources for additional help
National Resource Center on LGBT Aging
(Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender)
- Legal resources (i.e. discrimination, Defense of Marriage Act, estate planning, Social Security)
- Employment resources
- Support in coming out later in life
- Search the map for LGBT support resources in your state
Program to Encourage Active, Rewarding Lives for Seniors
- In-home counseling sessions focused on behavior changes
- Learn how to increase your activity level and create lasting change
VA Caregiver Support
- Information, tools, and resources for caregivers and Veterans
- Guide to Intimacy.