This toolkit provides a variety of outside resources for employers, managers or supervisors, and human resource professionals. Below, please find an extensive list of links related to Veteran employment and services.
Department of Veterans Affairs, http://www.va.gov/
The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) provides patient care and federal benefits to Veterans and their dependents. Some VA services are available to assist with Veteran employment.
- Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment Service VetSuccess Program, http://vetsuccess.gov/employers
- Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment, http://www.benefits.va.gov/vocrehab/index.asp
National Center for PTSD, http://www.ptsd.va.gov/index.asp
The VA's National Center for PTSD conducts research and education on trauma and PTSD. The website offers extensive information on coping, treatment, educational materials, and more.
- Information for Employers about Veterans, http://www.ptsd.va.gov/public/community/info-employers-vets.asp
- Returning from the War-Zone Guides, http://www.ptsd.va.gov/public/reintegration/guides-rwz.asp
- Handout: The Impact of Trauma and War on Work, http://www.ptsd.va.gov/public/pages/handouts-pdf/impact_trauma_war_work.pdf
- Video: Combat Stress & Wellness: Veterans & Family Version, http://www.ptsd.va.gov/public/videos/list-videos.asp
- PTSD Overview page, http://www.ptsd.va.gov/PTSD/public/pages/fslist-ptsd-overview.asp
- What is PTSD?, http://www.ptsd.va.gov/public/pages/what-is-ptsd.asp
- How Common is PTSD?, http://www.ptsd.va.gov/public/PTSD-overview/basics/how-common-is-ptsd.asp
- Frequently Asked Questions about PTSD, http://www.ptsd.va.gov/public/PTSD-overview/basics/faq-about-ptsd.asp
Department of Labor, http://www.dol.gov/*
The Department of Labor has a number of resources available for employers, including the following:
- Resources for Employers, http://www.dol.gov/dol/audience/aud-employers.htm*
- Veterans' Employment and Training Services (VETS), http://www.dol.gov/vets/*
- Work Opportunity Tax Credit Information, http://www.doleta.gov/business/incentives/opptax/*
- Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs, http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/*
- Compliance Assistance - Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), http://www.dol.gov/whd/flsa/*
- Toolkit for Federal Agencies on Implementing Executive Order 13548, http://www.dol.gov/odep/federal-hire/*
America's Heroes at Work, http://www.americasheroesatwork.gov/*
America's Heroes at Work is designed for employers and the workforce development system, to help returning Service Members and Veterans living with TBI and/or PTSD succeed in the workplace - particularly Service Members returning from Iraq and Afghanistan. They offer online trainings, webcasts, and presentations and a Hiring Veterans Toolkit as well as a TBI, PTSD & Employment Training Tool.
This website is your link to information and tools regarding educating employers how to deal with hiring Veterans with TBI and PTSD.
- Hiring Veterans Toolkit, http://www.americasheroesatwork.gov/forEmployers/HiringToolkit*
- TBI, PTSD, & Employment Training Tool, http://www.americasheroesatwork.gov/forEmployers/presentations/TBIptsd/*
U.S. Office of Personnel Management's Government-wide Veterans Employment Website, http://www.fedshirevets.gov*
On November 9, 2009, President Barack Obama signed Executive Order 13518, Employment of Veterans in the Federal Government, which establishes the Veterans Employment Initiative. The website about this initiative includes sections for Federal Hiring Managers and HR Practitioners.
- HR Practitioners, http://www.fedshirevets.gov/hire/hrp/index.aspx*
- Statutes & Regulations, http://www.fedshirevets.gov/hire/hrp/regs/index.aspx*
Federal Occupational Health's Employee Assistance Program (EAP), www.foh.dhhs.gov/whatwedo/eap/eap.asp*
Federal Occupational Health (FOH) is a non-appropriated agency within the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) that provides occupational health and wellness services exclusively to federal employees. They offer assistance 7 days/week, 24 hours/day 800-222-0364 or 888-262-7848 (TTY).
Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve (ESGR), www.esgr.org*
The Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve (ESGR) operates programs directed toward U.S. employers, employees, and communities to ensure understanding of the role of Reserve and National Guard members. ESGR provides the following services to assist members of the Reserve and National Guard and their civilian employers: recognition, information, and mediation.
- Employer Resource page, http://www.esgr.mil/USERRA/USERRA-for-Employers.aspx*
- USERRA Resource page, http://www.esgr.mil/USERRA/What-is-USERRA.aspx*
Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM), www.shrm.org*
The Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) is the world's largest association devoted to human resource management. It serves the needs of human resource professionals and advances the interests of the human resource profession. As one of its many resources, it offers information on military employment.
- Military Employment Resources, http://www.shrm.org/hrdisciplines/staffingmanagement/articles/pages/military.aspx?marquee=OH*
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Home Page, http://www.ada.gov/*
The Americans with Disabilities Act gives civil rights protections to individuals with disabilities. It guarantees equal opportunity for individuals with disabilities in public accommodations, employment, transportation, State and local government services, and telecommunications. This website offers information and resources for complying with the ADA.
Job Accommodation Network (JAN), http://askjan.org/index.html*
JAN is the leading source of free, expert, and confidential guidance on workplace accommodations and disability employment issues. JAN offers one-on-one guidance on workplace accommodations, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and related legislation, and self-employment and entrepreneurship options for people with disabilities.
- For Employers, http://askjan.org/empl/index.htm*
- Training, http://askjan.org/training/index.htm*
- Accommodation and Compliance Series: Employees with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) http://askjan.org/media/ptsd.html*
Understanding Your Employment Rights Under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA): A Guide for Veterans, http://www.eeoc.gov/eeoc/publications/ada_veterans.cfm*
This EEOC guide briefly explains how protections for Veterans with service-connected disabilities differ under USERRA and the ADA. It also describes how the ADA in particular applies to recruiting, hiring, and accommodating Veterans with service-connected disabilities.
Project HIRED Wounded Warrior Workforce Program, http://www.projecthired.org/HIREreach7/employers*
Project HIRED supports disabled Veterans with career services, retraining, and wrap-around support services. It also supports employers of Veterans with disabilities by providing human resource support, management and staff training programs, and customized workshops and consultation services.
USERRA Advanced e-Learning Course, http://www.nvti.ucdenver.edu/Userra101/login.aspx?ReturnUrl=/userra101/default.aspx*
The Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA) of 1994 is the federal law that establishes rights and responsibilities for members of the Reserve and National Guard and their civilian employers. USERRA affects employment, reemployment, employment benefits and retention in employment, when employees serve or have served in the uniformed services.
Hero Health Hire, http://www.herohealthhire.com/hero-health-hire.aspx*
Hero Health Hire offers a place where business leaders, government officials, and citizens can learn, share information, and commit to helping our nation's Wounded Warriors find and retain meaningful employment. They offer information, tools, and guidance in recruiting, hiring, training, and supporting Wounded Warriors in the workplace.
- For organizations: http://www.herohealthhire.com/for-organizations.aspx*
Northrop Grumman, Operation IMPACT (Injured Military Pursing Assisted Career Transition), http://careers.northropgrumman.com/operation_impact.html*
Operation IMPACT assists severely injured Service Members with the transition to civilian careers.
- Network of Champions: companies looking to hire injured Veterans, http://www.northropgrumman.com/Careers/MilitaryVeterans/Pages/NetworkOfChampions.aspx*
Military Cultural Competence Online Course, http://www.essentiallearning.net/student/content/sections/Lectora/
This Military Cultural Competence online course offers more information about military rank structure, branches of service, the difference between active and reserve components, demographics of military personnel, and general and deployment related terms.
Hire Veterans, http://www.hireveterans.com/*
Hire Veterans allows employers to advertise job postings to Veterans and allows Veterans to post their resumes for search by employers.
Vet Jobs, http://www.vetjobs.com/*
VetJobs allows employers to advertise job postings to Veterans and allows Veterans to post their resumes for search by employers. It also offers a number of resources for Veterans and employers. Employer Resource section, http://vetjobs.info/empResources.htm*
Department of Defense (DoD) Dictionary of Military and Associated Terms, http://www.dtic.mil/doctrine/dod_dictionary/*
Dictionary of military definitions, acronyms, and abbreviations.
Articles - Hiring Veterans
Why Hire A Vet, http://www.vetjobs.com/empWhyHire.htm*
Why Hire A Veteran: 12 Good Reasons, http://www.vetjobs.com/empWhyHire03.php*
Why Hire Veterans: An Employer's Viewpoint, http://www.vetjobs.com/empWhyHire04.php*
Hiring a Veteran: The Next Sound Investment for Your Company, http://www.vetjobs.com/empWhyHire05.php*
Articles - Tax Credits for Hiring Veterans
Hire a Veteran and Win the War on Taxes, http://www.veteranstoday.com/2010/03/02/hire-a-veteran-and-win-the-war-on-taxes/*
Fact Sheet: Returning Heroes and Wounded Warrior Tax Credits, http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2011/11/21/fact-sheet-returning-heroes-and-wounded-warrior-tax-credits*
Article - Readjusting to Civilian Life
8 Battlefield Skills That Make Reintegration Challenging, http://www.realwarriors.net/active/afterdeployment/combatskills.php*