This toolkit provides a variety of outside resources for employers, managers or supervisors, and human resource professionals. Below, please find an extensive list of links related to Veteran employment and services.
Department of Veterans Affairs, http://www.va.gov/
The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) provides patient care and federal benefits to Veterans and their dependents. Some VA services are available to assist with Veteran employment.
- Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment Service VetSuccess Program, http://vetsuccess.gov/employers
- Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment, http://www.benefits.va.gov/vocrehab/index.asp
National Center for PTSD, https://www.ptsd.va.gov
The VA's National Center for PTSD conducts research and education on trauma and PTSD. The website offers extensive information on coping, treatment, educational materials, and more.
- Information for Employers about Veterans, https://www.ptsd.va.gov/understand/related/employers_veterans.asp
- PTSD 101: PTSD Overview, https://www.ptsd.va.gov/professional/continuing_ed/ptsd_overview.asp
- What is PTSD?, https://www.ptsd.va.gov/understand/what/ptsd_basics.asp
- How Common is PTSD?, https://www.ptsd.va.gov/understand/common/common_adults.asp
Department of Labor, http://www.dol.gov/*
The Department of Labor has a number of resources available for employers, including the following:
- Resources for Employers, http://www.dol.gov/dol/audience/aud-employers.htm*
- Veterans' Employment and Training Services (VETS), http://www.dol.gov/vets/*
- Work Opportunity Tax Credit Information, http://www.doleta.gov/business/incentives/opptax/*
- Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs, http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/*
- Toolkit for Federal Agencies on Implementing Executive Order 13548, http://www.dol.gov/odep/federal-hire/*
Federal Occupational Health's Employee Assistance Program (EAP), https://foh.psc.gov/fohservices/bhs/eap*
Federal Occupational Health (FOH) is a non-appropriated agency within the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) that provides occupational health and wellness services exclusively to federal employees. They offer assistance 7 days/week, 24 hours/day 800-222-0364 or 888-262-7848 (TTY).
Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve (ESGR), www.esgr.org*
The Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve (ESGR) operates programs directed toward U.S. employers, employees, and communities to ensure understanding of the role of Reserve and National Guard members. ESGR provides the following services to assist members of the Reserve and National Guard and their civilian employers: recognition, information, and mediation.
- Employer Resource page, http://www.esgr.mil/USERRA/USERRA-for-Employers.aspx*
- USERRA Resource page, http://www.esgr.mil/USERRA/What-is-USERRA.aspx*
Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM), www.shrm.org*
The Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) is the world's largest association devoted to human resource management. It serves the needs of human resource professionals and advances the interests of the human resource profession. As one of its many resources, it offers information on military employment.
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Home Page, http://www.ada.gov/*
The Americans with Disabilities Act gives civil rights protections to individuals with disabilities. It guarantees equal opportunity for individuals with disabilities in public accommodations, employment, transportation, State and local government services, and telecommunications. This website offers information and resources for complying with the ADA.
Job Accommodation Network (JAN), http://askjan.org/index.html*
JAN is the leading source of free, expert, and confidential guidance on workplace accommodations and disability employment issues. JAN offers one-on-one guidance on workplace accommodations, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and related legislation, and self-employment and entrepreneurship options for people with disabilities.
- For Employers, http://askjan.org/empl/index.htm*
Understanding Your Employment Rights Under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA): A Guide for Veterans, http://www.eeoc.gov/eeoc/publications/ada_veterans.cfm*
This EEOC guide briefly explains how protections for Veterans with service-connected disabilities differ under USERRA and the ADA. It also describes how the ADA in particular applies to recruiting, hiring, and accommodating Veterans with service-connected disabilities.
Northrop Grumman, Operation IMPACT (Injured Military Pursing Assisted Career Transition), http://careers.northropgrumman.com/operation_impact.html*
Operation IMPACT assists severely injured Service Members with the transition to civilian careers.
- Network of Champions: companies looking to hire injured Veterans, http://www.northropgrumman.com/Careers/MilitaryVeterans/Pages/NetworkOfChampions.aspx*
Hire Veterans, http://www.hireveterans.com/*
Hire Veterans allows employers to advertise job postings to Veterans and allows Veterans to post their resumes for search by employers.
Vet Jobs, http://www.vetjobs.com/*
VetJobs allows employers to advertise job postings to Veterans and allows Veterans to post their resumes for search by employers. It also offers a number of resources for Veterans and employers.
Department of Defense (DoD) Dictionary of Military and Associated Terms, http://www.dtic.mil/doctrine/dod_dictionary/*
Dictionary of military definitions, acronyms, and abbreviations.