Geriatrics and Extended Care
GEC Mission, Vision, Goals
Honor Veterans’ preferences for health, independence, & well-being in the face of aging, disability, or illness by advancing expertise, programs, & partnerships.
Empowering Veterans and the Nation to rise above the challenges of aging, disability, or serious illness.
Strategic Priorities: The ABCs of GEC
- ACCESS. Optimize the health, independence, and well-being of Veterans by ensuring access to Geriatrics, Palliative Care, and long term services and supports (LTSS) in facilities, home and community-based settings.
- BALANCE. Honor Veterans’ preferences by increasing the delivery of long term services and supports (LTSS) in home and community-based settings, thereby reducing preventable hospital and nursing home stays and emergency department visits.
- CARE COORDINATION. Improve care quality and enhance the experiences of Veterans facing the challenges of aging, disability or serious illness by supporting optimal care coordination and management, especially when home care is needed or during transitions between care settings.
- Provide leadership and oversight for a well-integrated, system-wide continuum of evidence-based, Veteran-centric GEC programs and services to meet the needs of Veterans, families, and their caregivers.
- Establish infrastructure, promote innovation, and the use of data, tools, and continuous quality improvement approaches to ensure personalized, proactive, Veteran-centered care.
- Ensure Veterans have reliable access to quality care in facility, community, and home-based settings, delivered by appropriately trained health care professionals, teams, and caregivers.
- Achieve exceptional outcomes including exemplary Veteran, employee, and other stakeholder satisfaction with our programs and services.
- Be excellent financial stewards in delivering high-value programs and services through accountability, collaboration, engagement, and alignment of GEC resources with VACO, VISN, medical centers, clinics, and external partners.