Attention A T users. To access the menus on this page please perform the following steps. 1. Please switch auto forms mode to off. 2. Hit enter to expand a main menu option (Health, Benefits, etc). 3. To enter and activate the submenu links, hit the down arrow. You will now be able to tab or arrow up or down through the submenu options to access/activate the submenu links.

Research and Development Service - VA Portland HCS

Quick Links
Veterans Crisis Line Badge
My healthevet badge

New Investigator Information

For New Investigators 

The administrative office of Research & Development Service is organized to assist investigators with submission of proposals, review of proposals, management of funds, and recruitment and retention of employees. Refer to the list of R&D Administrative staff for the various services that they provide.

The first thing new investigators need to do is fill out The Investigator Data Sheet (26KB, PDF) and return it to the Research Office. The Investigator Data Sheet (also called a “page 18") is needed for investigators new to the Portland VAMC. It is completed once and updated on an annual basis.

Principal Investigators should also read the Summary of Principal Investigator Responsibilities (50KB, MSWord).

Below you will find a list of topics that should help to get you started at the PVAMC.

R&D Committee


R&D Committee
The Research & Development Committee (R&DC) is the governing body that oversees the research program. The R&DC is also the committee that reviews science only studies that don't fall under the purview of a subcommittee. The subcommittees include, Institutional Review Board (IRB), Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) and the Subcommittee on Research Safety (SRS).

Institutional Review Board


If you are submitting a proposal that involves human subjects, identifiable health information, and/or identifiable specimens, one of two local IRBs will review it to ensure appropriate standards are met. The PVAMC has one internal IRB and one external (affiliate) IRB, Oregon Health and Science University's (OHSUs) IRB#3. The PVAMC utilizes a third IRB, called the Central IRB (CIRB), this IRB is a national VA IRB and reviews studies that will be conducted at multiple VA sites.



If you are submitting a proposal that involves VA wet lab work with chemicals, biospecimens (including establishing a biorepository), cells/tissue cultures, microbiological agents, recombinant DNA, controlled substances, or radioisotopes, this committee is responsible for ensuring that appropriate safety standards are met.



If you are submitting a proposal that involves animals, click here for the guidelines for this kind of research.

Human Subjects Education


Human Research Protection Program (HRPP)
If your research involves Human Subjects, identifiable health information and/or identifiable human specimens, this site will provide a brief overview of the HRPP at the PVAMC including Office for Human Research Protection (OHRP) registration numbers, Federalwide Assurance (FWA) number, required reporting and applicable policies.

Human Subjects

Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA)
If the research proposal you are submitting will involve working with human subjects, identifiable health information and/or identifiable specimens, this link will take you to information regarding your responsibilities as well as requirements for privacy of the information you will be collecting/generating.

Research Contracts

Research Contracts
If you are requesting material from another institution or want to enter into a clinical trial agreement click here.

Grant Writing

Submitting VA Grants 
This page provides a brief overview of VA specific grant opportunities including career development awards, research career scientist awards, and merit review opportunities.

Technology Transfer

Technology Transfer
If you have a new invention, methodology, or anything you think is patentable, click here to find out how to make it marketable.

Contact Research Staff


Contact Us
If you have additional questions, please use this page to determine who would be the best contact person for your question.