Quality and Patient Safety (QPS)
Analytics and Performance Integration
The Office of Analytics and Performance Integration (API) ensures an integrated and systematic framework for developing, understanding and measuring of a high reliability organization by providing the clinical field and leadership with analytics, tools, consultation and training to assess how VHA is performing as an organization.
What We Do
API brings together, under one program office, seven functional areas that support data analytics and the quality of care within the VHA healthcare system. By combining expertise in data management, measurement, and improvement, API enables the entire VHA health system to use data to drive high-value and Veteran-centric care.
Key Functions and Activities
Integrating reporting and response to identify and remedy variations in quality:
- Providing customer-centric data, tools and reports that strengthen facility and system-level performance, quality of care, efficiency, resilience and enhance Veteran experience.
- Building enterprise analytics and improvement capabilities to foster continuous quality improvement, transparency and organizational learning.
- Enhancing facility performance through tailored consultation, analytics and improvement support.
- Leveraging shared expertise through partnerships internal (OEHRM, QPS, VISN, VAMC, ICC, HSR&D) & external (DHA, HHS, CMS, NCQA).
- Center for Strategic Analytics and Reporting (CSAR)
- delivers innovative quality improvement tools and builds analytics competency throughout VHA to enhance the value and quality of care for Veterans.
- Inpatient Evaluation Center (IPEC)
- contributes to optimal health outcomes for Veterans through data analysis, reporting, and consultative services. It is a national program office focused on providing process improvements and outcome metrics that identify opportunities for improving patient outcomes across care environments. IPEC utilizes data analysis, statistical modeling, clinical knowledge, and external and internal benchmarking to produce innovative and cutting-edge products.
- The Office of Productivity, Efficiency and Staffing (OPES)
- is dedicated to enhancing VHA leadership decision-making through data-driven analytics. OPES develops management tools designed to monitor clinical productivity, to measure operational efficiency, and to promote the goal of clinical excellence through improved access and the provision of safe, efficient, effective compassionate care.
- The Office of Performance Measurement (PM)
- provides expertise in measurement theory, methods and development (blend of clinical, analytic and statistical expertise). The PM Office is made up of the Performance Measurement Team and Survey of Healthcare Experience of Patients (SHEP) Team. The office supports program offices with measurement development, piloting and implementation processes.
- The VHA Support Service Center (VSSC)
- creates and maintains advanced and secure data platforms, measurement systems, and analytic solutions that help providers work with Veterans and their families to make well-informed decisions.
- The Office of Clinical Systems Development and Evaluation (CSDE)
- uses data analytics to develop highly automated and sophisticated techniques for to improving clinical quality and safety in VA's medical centers. Specifically, CSDE develops, implements, and cultivates tools that integrate quality, safety, and patient decision support directly into a clinical workflow and analytical programs. By relying on data-driven science, CSDE, in partnership with other VA offices and VHA medical centers, has developed innovative tools and programs to ensure Veterans receive reliable, safe and seamless care.
- Health Systems Innovation Planning and Coordination (HSIPC)
- helps optimize and integrate information technology (IT) capabilities to support health care quality and patient safety. HSIPC has dedicated and interconnected teams for product management, business intelligence and customer engagement.