VA & TRICARE Information
What is TRICARE?
TRICARE is the Department of Defense (DoD) health care program for uniformed service members, retirees & their families. https://tricare.mil/
Does VA participate in the TRICARE Network?
- Yes, since 1995, all VA health care facilities have participated as TRICARE Network Providers.
- VA can provide care for Active Duty Service Members, military retirees, & family members under their TRICARE benefit - on a space available basis.
- Each VA health care facility can serve as primary care manager for TRICARE beneficiaries, but more often TRICARE referrals are used for specialty care.
- Care can only be made available to TRICARE beneficiaries on a space available basis.
- No service provided under the agreement will adversely affect the range of services, quality of care, or the established priorities for care provided to the primary/core (Veteran) beneficiaries of VHA.
- VHA USH has certified to VA Sec that caring for TRICARE beneficiaries will not result in denial/delay in providing access to care for any Veteran at that facility.
For TRICARE Information and Assistance
TRICARE eligibility is determined by the military services.
If eligibility questions arise or more information is needed regarding TRICARE eligibility, contact:
- Defense Manpower Data Center: http://milconnect.dmdc.mil
- Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS): 1-800-538-9552
- TRICARE East Region: Humana Military 1-800-444-5445 https://www.humanamilitary.com
- TRICARE West Region: Health Net Federal Services 1-844-866-9378 https://tricare-west.com