In Vitro Fertilization Treatment
Veterans with certain service-connected conditions that result in infertility may be eligible for in vitro fertilization (IVF), or another form of assisted reproductive technology (ART) and other infertility services. VA can provide these services if:
- You have a service-connected condition that causes infertility
- You are legally married
- Male spouses can produce sperm
- Female spouses have an intact uterus and can produce eggs
NOTE: Donor sperm, eggs and embryos, gestational surrogacy, or obstetrical care for non-Veteran spouses are not covered under this benefit. Veterans who need these services are ineligible for the ART/IVF benefit.
As a part of the VA medical benefits package, VA provides many different types of fertility treatments and procedures to Veterans. These include infertility counseling, laboratory blood testing, genetic counseling, sperm testing, ultrasounds, surgery, reversal of a vasectomy or tubal ligation, medication, and other treatments. To learn more about these types of services, please visit Women Veterans Health Care.
Women Veterans Health Care website
- Evaluation: Veterans who are enrolled in VA health care can schedule an appointment with a VA provider for an evaluation. It may be necessary to identify the cause of infertility before determining your eligibility for the benefit. To schedule an evaluation, eligible Veterans can contact their local VA medical facility.For questions regarding eligibility and services, please contact the Women Veterans Call Center.
Women Veterans Call Center: (855) 829-6636
- Planning: If the Veteran is eligible for ART/IVF, VA will refer the Veteran (and spouse) to a Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility (REI) specialist in the community. The community provider will work with you and your spouse to perform any necessary evaluations and tests and develop a treatment plan.
- Treatment: Treatment is provided based on the treatment plan developed by you and your community provider.
- Infographic: Service-Connected Infertility Treatment
Describes treatment options available for Veterans with service-connected infertility, including in vitro fertilization (IVF) and the process for obtaining care.
- Handout for Veterans: In Vitro Fertilization Treatment
Describes availability of IVF treatment for Veterans and their spouses.
Women Veterans Call Center
Veterans (male and female) can contact the Women Veterans Call Center for information about service-connected infertility treatment.