Office of Discovery, Education and Affiliate Networks
The Office of Discovery, Education and Affiliate Networks (DEAN) was established by the Executive in Charge on October 2018, in support of OMB Executive Order M-17-22, “Comprehensive Plan for Reforming the Federal Government and reducing the Federal Civilian Workforce”. The Office of Academic Affiliations, Office of Research and Development, Office of Healthcare Innovation and Learning, and the National Center for Healthcare Advancement and Partnerships were reorganized to leverage VHA’s ability to advance training, research, healthcare business delivery, and partnerships with local, regional, and national organizations.
DEAN is responsible for:
- Managing education and training programs for health profession students and residents to enhance the quality of care provided to Veteran patients as required by Title 38 Section 7302
- Applying basic, translational, and clinical health services, as well as rehabilitative research to apply scientific knowledge in the development of effective care solutions for Veterans
- Providing innovation project management of the design, evaluation and diffusion of new processes that facilitate healthcare innovations to serve Veterans better
- The Office of Discovery, Education, and Affiliate Networks ensures that Veterans have access to the most innovative health care solutions by promoting medical research initiatives, training health care professions, and developing community partnerships.
- Innovative research and community partnerships, enabled by the Office of Discovery, Education, and Affiliate Networks, and informed by ongoing collaboration with operational partners, strive to raise the quality of health care available to Veterans everywhere.
The Veterans Health Administration is the Nation’s largest integrated provider of health care education and training for physician residents and other health care trainees. VA also advances medical research and development in areas that most directly address the diseases and conditions affecting Veterans and eligible beneficiaries. To deliver on our priorities, VA will seize opportunities driven by rapid advancements in technology and ground-breaking research to provide Veterans with cutting-edge treatment and means to access care, benefits, and services. These advances will be critical as VA serves an evolving Veteran population shaped by shifting battlefields and tactics that generate ever-changing injuries and illnesses, while developing new treatments for these illnesses and injuries, and advancing the fields of genomics and personalized medicine to prevent future illness and improve the effectiveness of treatments.