Office of Research Oversight
ORO Publications and Guidance
VHA Directive 1058: Responsibilities of the Office of Research Oversight (Mar 2017)
VHA Directive 1058.01: Research Compliance Reporting Requirements (Oct 2020)
- Summary of Major Changes - VHA Directive 1058.01
- Table of Changes - VHA Directive 1058.01
- Guidance on Information to Include in Reports to ORO (Feb 2021)
- Examples of Events in VA Animal Rsch Reportable to ORO (Mar 2021)
- Examples of VA Lab Safety & Security Events Reportable to ORO (Mar 2021)
- Examples of Events in VA Human Subjects Rsch that Constitute Serious or Continuing Noncompliance (Mar 2021)
- Guidance on Reporting Deficient HIPAA Authorizations (Mar 2021)
- Decision Chart: Reporting of Systematic Deficiencies and Noncompliance in VA Research
- Decision Chart: Reporting Human Deaths, Unanticipated Problems and Accident, Injury, Illness and Exposure in VA Reseach
- Summary of Major Changes - VHA Directive 1058.03
- Table of Changes - VHA Directive 1058.03
- MOU Checklist
VHA Directive 1058.04: Debarments and Suspensions Based on Impropriety in VA Research (Nov 2019)
VHA Handbook 1058.05: VHA Handbook 1058.05 ("VHA Operations Activities That May Constitute Research") dated October 28, 2011, was rescinded on January 4, 2019. Related content was incorporated into VHA Office of Research & Development Program Guide 1200.21 ("VHA Operations Activities That May Constitute Research"), dated January 9, 2019. This Program Guide may be accessed at https://www.research.va.gov/resources/policies/handbooks.cfm. Similar to the content previously included in the rescinded Handbook, the Program Guide continues to provide guidance on when an operations activity may also constitute research (which could necessitate obtaining approvals from VA research oversight committees (e.g., Institutional Review Boards). Questions regarding VHA Office of Research & Development Program Guide 1200.21 should be referred to the VHA Office of Research & Development (email: VHACOORDRegulatory@va.gov).
VHA Handbook 1058.06: VHA Handbook 1058.06 ("Research Conducted by Employees of VHA Program Offices") dated October 28, 2011, was rescinded upon issuance of VHA Directive 1200.05 ("Requirements for the Protection of Human Subjects in Research") on January 7, 2019. Related content was incorporated into Appendix C of VHA Directive 1200.05, which can be accessed at: https://www.va.gov/vhapublications/ViewPublication.asp?pub_ID=8171. Questions regarding VHA Directive 1200.05 should be referred to the VHA Office of Research & Development (email: VHACOORDRegulatory@va.gov).
- ORD-ORO Joint Guidance on Semi-annual Reviews of the ACUP (Sep 2016)
- Waiver of Requirement for a Full Time RCO
Other Publications and Guidance
- NOTE: For specific guidance on data management and access plans (DMAPs) for research funded by ORD, please visit the ORD Funding Webpage.