Post-9/11 Transition and Case Management
VA Liaison Program
VA Liaisons for Healthcare are there to help you as you prepare to transition out of the military and into the civilian world.
What is a VA Liaison? VA Liaisons are nurses and social workers who coordinate the transfer of health care from DoD to VA for service members as they exit the military. VA Liaisons are located at your Department of Defense (DoD) installation to coordinate your health care needs from the military treatment facility (MTF) to a VA health care facility. If there is not a VA Liaison at your installation, there are regional VA Liaisons available to virtually coordinate health care access to VA facilities nationwide.
Whether you need inpatient or outpatient care, VA Liaisons will assist in the transfer of your care at the appropriate time in your recovery and rehabilitation process. VA Liaisons will also:
- Collaborate with DoD care managers and treatment teams regarding VA resources and treatment options available for your care.
- Inform you about VA health care eligibility, benefits and services.
- Connect you with a Veterans Benefits Administration (VBA) representative if needed.
- Educate and assist you with VA health care registration.
- Discuss your individualized goals for your care and ensure your VA health care team knows your needs and goals.
- Facilitate your initial VA appointment being scheduled before you are discharged from the military.
- Connect you with the Post-9/11 Military2VA team at your selected VA facility.