VHA Office of Emergency Management
Disaster Emergency Medical Personnel System (DEMPS)
The Disaster Emergency Medical Personnel System (DEMPS) Program is the Veterans Health Administration’s (VHA) main program for deployment of clinical and non-clinical staff to an emergency or disaster.
DEMPS may be used for internal VHA missions, as well as supporting external missions identified under the VA's 4th Mission and in direct support of the National Response Framework Emergency Support Function #6 (Mass Care, Emergency Assistance, Housing, and Human Services) and/or #8 (Public Health and Medical Services).
VHA headquarters and Veterans Integrated Service Network (VISN) Directors use the DEMPS database as a personnel resource listing to match personnel qualifications to emergency response requirements and needs. Volunteers include physicians, nurses, pharmacists, respiratory therapists, mental health counselors, engineers, contract specialists, maintenance workers, emergency management officials and others. DEMPS personnel were designed for the following functions:
- Enhance health care services, internal and external to VA.
- Provide VA emergency management assets with clinical and/or administrative staff.
More About DEMPS
Depending on the mission, VHA may also deploy non-clinical staff to support the infrastructure of the deployment. Regardless of your profession and skill set, your participation as a DEMPS Volunteer is appreciated by those who need your help. The DEMPS Program is made up of the following entities:
- DEMPS Volunteers (Full-time VHA employee)
- VAMC DEMPS Coordinator
- DEMPS VISN Points of Contact
- DEMPS National Program Manager
- VHA Office of Emergency Management staff (Area Emergency Managers, and Regional Emergency Managers)
- Assistant Under Secretary for Health Operations
- The DEMPS Management System
How do I enroll in DEMPS?
- On the web go to https://vhapims.orau.org/.
- Type in your VA email excluding va.gov then click on Not a user yet.
- You will receive an email from VHAPIMSAorau.org. Click on the link to confirm the email was received. Note: if you do not receive an email, check your junk email box.
- In the event you may have incorrectly entered your email go back to step one and re-enter your correct email address.
- Click Continue to Registration Complete all the fields: select DEMPS.
- Volunteer from the Request Role dropdown box. Select your VISN and VAMC. Complete the Supervisor contact information fields verify your information and click Submit.
Note: Supervisor approval is required for you to become a DEMPS volunteer.
If you have any questions about DEMPS, please contact your Facility DEMPS Coordinator.
Read more about some of VHA's DEMPS missions.
- Muskogee VA welcomes DEMPS staff from across the country
- Coast Guard Veteran-VA employee always ready to deploy
- VA employees volunteer to answer nation’s call
- VA nurse honored to support Apache nation during COVID-19 peak
- VA nurses weather the storm in service to Veterans
- Despite the risk, VA nurse answers the call
- 30 nurses deploy to Gulf Coast VA locations