Scroll through this page for descriptions of each Whole Health course available to VA employees, or click on the offerings below to go directly to the course page and download course materials including participant manuals and presentations.
This is an accordion element with a series of buttons that open and close related content panels.
Offerings for All Employees
Pathway & Coaching: Whole Health Coaches, Facilitators, and Partners
Whole Health TMS/Train Courses
Offerings for All Employees
Enables VA employees to experience WH themselves in order to help foster a culture in VA where WH is the model of care for Veterans. Employees learn the importance of mindfulness, self-care, resilience, complementary and integrative health, and the power of community through highly experiential activities. This course is now available as an initial 4-hour introduction to Whole Health; Whole Health 101 (8 hours) may continue being offered by sites that have already been using it. Train-the-Trainer curriculum is available for this course.
- All employees who have not previously attended a WH course
- Half-day, in-person curriculum
- 4 CEUs
- 102F is designated for Flagship sites
Primary focus: training clinicians in how to incorporate Whole Health into their clinical practice
Whole Health 202 is an intensive, highly practical 4-hour experience for busy VA clinicians and clinical teams that provides additional skills and tools to make clinical practice more effective, efficient and satisfying. According to research, the vast majority of patients with chronic disease do not feel they are able to effectively support their own self-care and self-management. Whole Health 202 provides clinicians and teams with a quick-start guide for helping patients optimize their own health and well-being.
- Course participants: All clinicians
- 4-Hour Half-day - Virtual learning (Zoom)
- 4.0 CEUs (FY 22)
Designed to support VA clinicians with effectively incorporating the Whole Health approach into their care of Veterans. Advances skills in the delivery of personalized, proactive, and patient-driven care. Working with your fellow participants, you will move step-by-step through applying each of the key elements of personal health planning and by the time the course is complete, you will have co-created a Personal Health Plan for at least one partner, and they will have done the same for you.
- Course participants: Physician Assistants (PAs), Nurse Practitioners (NPs), Medical Doctors (MDs), Doctors of Osteopathy (DOs) and other clinicians
- 20.5 course hours - 30-minute orientation plus five 4-hour course sessions over 1 week - Virtual learning (Zoom)
- 19 CEUs
Whole Health for Pain and Suffering: An Integrative Approach (WHPS) is an advanced clinical education course designed to support VA clinicians work with patients who experience pain in its various forms. Use the Whole Health model to expand your understanding of the root causes of pain conditions. Consider pain and suffering in the broader context of modern health care, and reflect on what you need for your own well-being as you provide care to people with severe pain.
- Course participants: VA clinicians working with patients who experience pain in its various forms.
- 16 course hours - 30-minute orientation and 4 course sessions - Virtual learning (Zoom)
- 13.5 CEUs (FY 22)
Introduces clinicians to the WH approach as it relates to a fundamental aspect of self-care: nutrition. This advanced, stand-alone course is informed by the latest research, and areas of focus include optimizing nutrition for specific disease states, preventing chronic diseases, collaborating effectively with dietitians and other care team members, and sharing nutrition success stories.
- Clinicians supporting Veterans mental health, such as primary care providers and mental health professionals
- 2-day, in-person curriculum
- 14.5 CEUs
This course is designed for all clinicians who support Veterans who have mental health conditions. It is intended to support anyone who would like to focus more on “Power of the Mind” as they are helping health Veterans create Personal Health Plans. Explore the power of the Whole Health Approach when it comes to working with mental health conditions, moving beyond models that treat mind and body as separate. Explore evidence-informed use of integrative care to support mental health.
- Course participants: All clinicians who support Veterans who have mental health conditions.
- 16 course hours - 30-minute orientation and 4 course sessions - Virtual learning (Zoom) with class discussions, partner activities and small group activities.
- 14.0 CEUs (FY 21)
The Whole Health Clinical Care Symposium is designed to provide training, coaching and group work time for site-based teams charged with advancing Whole Health clinical care at their sites. Four-member teams from a variety of sites nationwide will be selected to participate (brochure has details) including Physicians, Pharmacists, Dietitians, Nurses, Psychologists, Social Workers with leadership support/prerequisite completion. To participate, a team will need formal endorsement from senior or executive leadership, with express permission to dedicate the time needed to attend the course.
- Course participants comprised of four-member teams from a variety of sites nationwide that will be selected to participate
- 5 course sessions, virtual learning (Zoom), 22.5 course hours
- 22.5 CEUs
Pathway & Coaching Offerings
Primary focus: training non-clinicians in their role as a Whole Health Coach, Facilitator, Partner, or Mentor
The virtual Whole Health Coaching training integrates principles of change theory and practice to support Veterans in realizing their health potential. Whole Health Coaches play an integral role in Veterans’ behavior change and the radical redesign of health care, and the OPCC&CT is committed to providing optimally trained Whole Health Coaches for Veterans. Health coaches can provide individual and group coaching services not only within the Well-being Program but also within Whole Health Clinical Care.
- Course participants: please see course brochure.
- 75 hours+32 hours of both triad and asynchronous training - Virtual learning (Zoom). Class discussion, WH coaching practice, skills practice in small groups.
- 69.5 CEUs
Taking Charge of My Life and Health Facilitator Training (TCMLH-FT) is an experiential training specifically designed to teach Veterans and other peers some of the skills necessary to become group facilitators who will lead the Whole Health group-based program. The focus is on effective group facilitation skills and exposure to the 9-week curriculum through actual practice with feedback. TCMLH Facilitator Training is designed for Veteran peers and volunteers who may or may not have a clinical background. Graduates are eligible to become National Board-Certified Health and Wellness Coaches.
- Course participants: Veteran volunteers, Peer Support Specialists, WH Partners, WH Coaches
- 1 hour orientation 5-day training 25 course hours - Virtual learning (Zoom) involving class discussion, partner activities and small group activities.
- 19 CEUs (FY 21)
Whole Health Partner Training is designed to train Whole Health Partners in several roles in order to promote and support fellow Veterans in effective utilization of the Whole Health (WH) Pathway. WH Partners receive training in how to recruit and engage Veterans in the WH System. Partners learn how to guide Veterans through various offerings within the WH Pathway, as well as resources available in Wellness and Complementary and Integrative Health circles. Partners become well-versed in the Circle of Health, Four-Stage WH Process for navigating change, and the Personal Health Inventory.
- Course participants: WH Partners and WH Program Managers, Veteran volunteers, peers.
- 1 hour orientation, 3-day course, 12 course hours - Virtual learning (Zoom) involving class discussion, partner activities and small group activities.
- 12.5 CEUs (FY 21)
- Prerequisite: Attending either the Taking Charge of My Life and Health (TCMLH-FT) Facilitator training or the Whole Health Coaching (WHC) training.
Learn to support, enhance, and ensure the fidelity of the services provided by the Whole Health Pathway including Whole Health Coaches, Whole Health Facilitators, and Whole Health Partners. Mentor participants will learn how to provide ongoing skill training and mentoring to staff through effective feedback techniques, continuing education, and skillful coordination with supervisors and clinical staff. This course is being piloted in FY19.
- For professionals who will provide ongoing mentorship and training for WH Partners, WH Coaches, or facilitators at their facility
- 2.5-day, in-person curriculum
- Prerequisite: WH Coaching, WH Facilitated Groups, and/or WH Partner
The Whole Health skill-building courses are designed to be taught by a Whole Health coach or other educator to a group of Veterans who are interested in advancing their Whole Health. There are eight courses, one for each of the eight self-care circles in the VA Circle of Health.
Whole Health TMS/TRAIN Courses
Accredited learning modules including Clinician Self-Care, Introduction to Complementary and Integrative Approaches, Mindful Awareness, Eating for Whole Health: Functional Approaches to Food and Drink, and the Whole Health for Pain and Suffering video series. Non-accredited modules include Whole Health Foundation: A Personal Experience and Facilitation Tips and Techniques.