Pain management resources for Veterans, Veterans' family members, caregivers, VA administrators, clinicians, and researchers.
Provider Resources Within VA
VA Pain Listserv is a resource for pain management issues within the VA system. It provides a forum for the exchange of information.
Using Opioids Safely
Opioid Safety Initiative (OSI) is a comprehensive effort to improve the quality of life for the Veterans suffering from chronic pain.
Transforming VA Pain Care
The Six Essentials Elements of Good Pain Care
1. Educate Veterans/families to promote self-efficacy and shared decision making; provide access to all relevant resources
2. Educate/train all team members to their discipline specific competencies, including team based care
3. Develop and integrate non-pharmacological modalities into care plans
4. Institute evidence based medication prescribing, use of pain procedures and safe opioid use (universal precautions)
5. Implement approaches for bringing the Veteran’s whole team together such as virtual pain consulting (SCAN-ECHO, e-consults, tele-health, clinical video tele-consultation and education) and for maintaining ongoing communication between team members
6. Establish metrics to monitor pain care and outcomes at both the individual level and the population level
1st Tuesday of every Month
Mark your calendar for the next SoPM Cyberseminar!
• Date: Tuesday, June 20, 2016
• Speaker: Jennifer Murphy, PhD
• Title: Behavioral Management During Opioid Tapering: Q & A with Dr. Jennifer Murphy
• Time: 12:00am-1:00pm ET
To join the HSR&D CyberSeminar ListServ and receive the monthly call reminder, please send your name and email address to: HSRD.CyberSeminar@va.gov .
To access past Cyberseminars link: http://www.hsrd.research.va.gov/cyberseminars/catalog-archive.cfm?#Archived (filter on - Spotlight on Pain Management)
VHA Pain Listserv: If you are interested in joining the VA Pain ListServ, please click here for more information! The VHA Pain Listserv provides VA pain practitioners and researchers with a forum for the exchange of information and ideas.
Get started by learning about the pain management resources that are available to patients and providers through the VA
Explore useful pain management information, to include pain education and pain management resources. This website facilitates effective pain management by providing convenient, centralized access to resources for the provision of pain services within the VA healthcare system
VA supports research to create innovations and advance pain management health care.
New research about chronic pain is helping doctors with better diagnosis and treatment. Given the high prevalence of pain and associated disability in the veteran population, research addressing the mechanisms, assessment, and management of pain has been designated as a priority by many federal funding agencies.
If you have questions or suggestions for pain-related resources to share with other Veterans, VA researchers, clinicians or administrators, please send an email to VHAPainManagementWebEditor@va.gov.