Office of Health Equity
Veterans Geography of Opportunity Tool
How healthy are communities where Veterans live?
Use this tool to explore different factors that influence health in communities where Veterans live, work, and play. The Veterans Geography of Opportunity Tool uses Veteran population model projections at the county level from the US Department of Veterans Affairs National Center for Analysis and Statistics and data from County Health Rankings & Roadmap, a collaboration between the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation and the University of Wisconsin Population Health Institute. The goals of that collaboration, which are shared by the VHA Office of Health Equity, are to:
- Build awareness of factors that influence health
- Provide reliable data to identify opportunities to impove health
- Engage and activite communities and stakeholders in creating change
- Connect and empower communities to improve health
National Veteran Health Equity Report - FY13
The National Veteran Health Equity Report details patterns and provides comparative rates of health conditions for vulnerable Veteran groups. Specifically, this report is designed to provide basic comparative information on the sociodemographics, utilization patterns and rates of diagnosed health conditions among the groups over which the VHA Office of Health Equity (OHE) has responsibility with respect to monitoring, evaluating and acting on identified disparities in access, use, care, quality and outcomes. The report allows the VA, Veterans, and stakeholders to monitor the care vulnerable Veterans receive and set goals for improving their care.
Data.gov is a key repository that provides increased public access to Federal datasets. Due to privacy restrictions, the VA does not release data where only 10 or fewer patients are represented. For this reason, the public data is slightly different than data available within the VA. These data are available at the following web address:https://vha-healthequity.shinyapps.io/NVHER_Shiny/ to access the VA National Veteran Health Equity Report Data Visualization Tool.
Compendium of Federal Datasets Addressing Health Disparities
VHA Office of Health Equity was pleased to partner with the Interdepartmental Health Equity Collaborative (IHEC) and the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Office of Minority Health and provide new data for the recently updated Compendium of Federal Datasets Addressing Health Disparities. The Compendium includes data about socioeconomic factors and social determinants of health.
The Compendium includes the following sources to assess disparities related to Veterans and their care:
- Atlas of Rural and Small-Town America
- American Community Survey
- Census of Fatal Occupational Injures
- Current Population Survey (CPS) Annual Social and Economic Supplement
- Disability and Health Data System
- Hepatitis C Virus – Advanced Liver Disease Disparities Data
- National Hospital Ambulatory Medical Care Survey
- National Inmate Survey
- Survey of Inmates in Federal Correctional Facilities
- Survey of Inmates in State Correctional Facilities