Office of Health Equity
Focus on Health Equity and Action Cyberseminar Series
About the Focus on Health Equity and Action Cyberseminars
The VHA Office of Health Equity (OHE) in partnership with the VA Health Services Research and Development (HSR&D) launched the Focus on Health Equity and Action Cyberseminars. Each cyberseminar spotlights activities that promote the implementation of the VHA Health Equity Action Plan (HEAP), and aims to:
- Catalyze, synergize, and coordinate VHA programs, projects, and initiatives to effectively identify, understand, seek and implement solutions to diminish and where possible eliminate health disparities;
- Demonstrate alignment with other federal partners working to achieve health equity;
- Bring focus to VHA efforts to provide a more equitable, individualized and patient-driven health care delivery system;
- Improve overall quality of care through equity in all policies and the achievement of health equity for all;
- Incorporate the innovative ideas and input of all users in order to encourage a bottom up approach while maintaining a strong connection to the overarching goals of the VA;
- Capitalize on the existing network of advocates and programs in both administrative and clinical realms to weave health equity dialogue and cultural attunement into training and other activities within and outside the health care system; and
- Serve as a guide and/or starting place that would remain a living document which is open to modification and adaptation to continuously meet the needs of the Veterans entrusted to the VHA.
Use the following links, or continue reading on this page, for information on:
Researchers, clinicians, care coordinators, policy makers, educators, data analysts, Veteran stakeholders and representatives of vulnerable Veteran groups who are interested in understanding and/or promoting equitable health among all Veterans.
Veterans may experience disparities in health and healthcare outcomes. These disparities adversely affect groups of people who have systematically experienced greater social and/or economic obstacles to health and/or a clean environment based on racial or ethnic group; gender; age; geography; religion; socio-economic status; sexual orientation; mental health; military era; cognitive, sensory, or physical disability; and other characteristics historically linked to discrimination or exclusion.
Visit the Office of Health Equity website at www.va.gov/healthequity for more details about Veteran health equity issues, VA’s strategic plan to achieve health equity for Veterans (Health Equity Action Plan), and more information about the Focus on Health Equity and Action Cyberseminar series.
- Visit http://www.va.gov/HEALTHEQUITY/Tools.asp for more information on health equity related tools to reduce health disparities for vulnerable Veterans.
Session titles and presenters may be updated closer to the event date. Sign up for the Office of Health Equity listserv to receive updates and to learn more about Veteran health equity issues.